Stupid thought: english vs. metric measures

The one I have most trouble with is that some people incorrectly refer to millimeter as "mil" when "mil" is thousandth of an inch. The irony there is a 10 based division on a 12 based system, lol. Ounce comes from latin and is 1/12th of a Roman pound. For imperial, ounce is 1/16 of a pound. Then there is troy weight, which says a troy ounce is 1/12th of a troy pound.

I'm leaving mil alone but I used to know which was heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead. I THINK a regular pound is heavier than a troy pound, so I think a pound of feathers is heavier than a pound of lead.

I work in both, comfortably. but I have a preference for proper Imperial. Bizarrely, I think in Farenheit in the Summer (90 degrees SOUNDS hot) and in Centepedes in the Winter (-1 SOUNDS cold). I visualise in feet and inches and always set my camera to feet in the menu. My son, who is 20, will tell you his height in feet and inches, and his weight in stones and pounds - and that is none of my doing! I CANNOT visualise metres, or kilometres, although the latter is useful when overseas because if you are used to working in MPH you get everywhere quicker! :D

Stones baffle me entirely but I've been around horses on and off all my life, so I can do OK with hands. When I'm overseas, it's usually in England in March, so I'm close enough to 32F/0C that I don't get TOO confused, but I leave my tablet set to Farenheit!

Before folks start throwing tomatoes at us, I hope they take 'em out of the cans first.

You've driven me to this, Yeats. And I'm holding back a punch.

There was an Englishman who was a guest of an American in New England who had a large garden. "What do you do with all this produce?" he asked his host. The frugal Yankee replied, "We eat what we can, and what we can't, we can."

Upon returning home, the Englishman couldn't understand why none of his friends laughed when he told the story with this conclusion: "My host told me, "We eat what we can, and what we can't, we put up in tins."

Back