1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sublime weather for a day out in Dartmouth and Kingswear

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by grebeman, May 24, 2012.

1. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Two crossings of the River Dart today and a walk beside the estuary on what was a superb day.

This is the classic tourist shot of Bayards Cove in Dartmouth, the quayside is little changed since the Mayflower and the Speedwell berthed here in August 1620.

Then a trip across to Kingswear on the Lower Ferry, much calmer than my previous visit https://www.photographerslounge.org/f21/challenging-conditions-dartmouth-lower-ferry-8847/

From Kingswear a walk north between the railway and the estuary to the landing for the Higher Ferry at Britannia Crossing. On the far side a view of Britannia Royal Naval College where a certain Prince Philip met a young Princess Elizabeth.

Then a wait for the first steam train of the day.

Just behind my position for the last shot is the ferry slipway for the Higher Ferry. Technically it's a floating bridge being guided by the wires each side of the hull with the vessel actually pulling itself across the estuary by the wires.

Then some carryout fish and chips consumed in Victoria Park to the sound of modern jazz

Then off to the George and Dragon for a pint of my favourite cider

All shots with a Panasonic GH2 and 15mm, f/4.5 Voigtlander Super Wide-Heliar, except the jazz trio where I used the 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom. Exposure was set manually for all shots.

Barrie

• Like Like x 6
  2. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Great series! Wow, thanks Barrie!

• Like Like x 1
  3. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Excellent.
    Whatever happened to the Mayflower I wonder? Nothing exciting or memorable I expect ...

• Like Like x 1
  4. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I seem to recall hearing that after leaving Dartmouth it had to put into my home town of Plymouth and then it went off somewhere...

Barrie

5. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    What an absolutely glorious looking day, Barrie. Wish I was there!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. nikki

nikki SC Top Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Dublin ,Ireland
    great set of shots !

• Like Like x 1