Sony Surprise: RX10 for My Birthday

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
Well... I certainly didn't expect this. A box was waiting on the kitchen table for me this morning... a Sony RX10 - the original Mark I version. A birthday gift from my understanding wife.

I've always been interested in the RX10 but never pulled the trigger on one. And the Mark I is currently available brand new for less than $800.

I was thinking about picking up the Olympus 12-100 f/4.0 for my E-M1. But the RX10 covers the same focal range... and its f/2.8 aperture makes up somewhat for the smaller, one-inch sensor. And it has weather resistance to boot.

This should be interesting.

Last edited:
I wish I could remember why I sold mine. I remember loving the feel of it...and I was kinda addicted to a couple of the Sony art filters for awhile. Let us know how you enjoy it....and if it cures your itch for that Oly 12-1000 (that I have the hots for, but not the budget)

I wish I could remember why I sold mine. I remember loving the feel of it...and I was kinda addicted to a couple of the Sony art filters for awhile. Let us know how you enjoy it....and if it cures your itch for that Oly 12-1000 (that I have the hots for, but not the budget)

Yes, the feel of the RX10 in hand is quite lovely.

Well... I certainly didn't expect this. A box was waiting on the kitchen table for me this morning... a Sony RX10 - the original Mark I version. A birthday gift from my understanding wife.

I've always been interested in the RX10 but never pulled the trigger on one. And the Mark I is currently available brand new for less than $800.

I was thinking about picking up the Olympus 12-100 f/4.0 for my E-M1. But the RX10 covers the same focal range... and its f/2.8 aperture makes up somewhat for the smaller, one-inch sensor. And it has weather resistance to boot.

This should be interesting.

I've had mine for 2+ years, and it's a great tool. It really is the 'Swiss Army Knife' of photography. It might not be the very best at anything, but it is very good at everything. It becomes quite a regular thing to find yourself amazed by the output - especially when the size of the sensor is taken into account.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Make sure that you're on the latest firmware (v.2.00)... and be sure to get a spare battery (or two!;)).

it might be a 4 years old design, but you can't improve much when they got it so right in the first instance. Here in the UK it is £629 (original price over £1000) so is one hell of a bargain. Only had mine about 4 to 6 weeks but loving it.
You might like to read a few reviews (lots on youtube also), where they compare it to much higher spec cameras, m43, aps-c and full frame.
it is quite frequently compared with the OMD-M1 which is top of the range m43 and apart from low light shooting the Sony with it's smaller sensor can really hold it's own. If I were concerned about low light shooting I would be looking at full frame anyway, not m43.
This is some camera - enjoy.

Happy Birthday!

I had a loaner of one of those for about a month when they first appeared and was quite impressed. It didn't fit my shooting very well, and I was frustrated by the slowness of the zoom, but I think I recommended it as a great all-in-one camera that would be perfect for a lot of people. I spend so little time north of 100mm, that even the mk I doesn't make much sense for me, let alone the much longer tele end of the mk III. But if I shot mostly in OK to good light and would use the full zoom range, I'd probably have bought it. In decent light, it's IQ doesn't leave much to be desired and the lens is really good considering how much is asked of it (as I understand the mk III is as well, but no personal experience with it). As a travel combo, the RX-10 (whichever version floats your boat) combined with something for lower light like an X100 or RX1 would be pretty tough to beat. I recall trying to take family candids in fairly low light over a Thanksgiving holiday and that was one place the RX10 didn't really compete with my m43 gear at the time, let alone today's larger sensor cameras... But overall, a great jack of most trades!

Enjoy!

-Ray

Back