1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Taking pics in small clubs with low/no light

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by headley, Apr 23, 2013.

1. headley

headley New to SC

Apr 23, 2013
    I am a novice with the awesome power of the Sony RX-100. I have been having a hard time getting the right settings to take decent shots of bands in a club setting. Lately I have been shooting on the Program Auto setting with a ISO of 3200. I get OK pics but it all depends. Can anyone pint me to a better way to shoot in low light, high movement shots. Dave Russell. James Sasser. John and Eric.

2. nippa

nippa SC Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Dennis
  3. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Welcome to the forum! The photos look pretty good. I don't have a RX100, so I'll let the RX100 owners chime-in.

4. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Welcome to SC.com and congrats on your camera!

In terms of movement and ISO, I think there's nothing wrong with these shots. Some people would probably like to see the white balance a bit more neutral, others would probably like to keep it as is, to reflect the mood of the setting. If you do want to change it, you'd be best off developing the raw file instead of the jpeg, because raw gives you a lot more room for extreme edits before the image starts to fall apart.

One thing you might try is underexpose a little to prevent the highlights from blowing out as they did in shots 1 and 3. You'd probably need to develop the raw file and push the shadows a good bit to end up with a properly exposed shot.

5. spinyman

spinyman SC Veteran

Dec 21, 2011
    Valley Center,Ca.
    David
    Don't know if your into it, but if you convert these to black /white,you'll avoid the weird colors.

6. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    love #1

7. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    ^ yup, what spinyman said is indeed an indoor / low light shooting classic. No funky colours, and you can also get away with lots of noise before it starts becoming bothersome in a black&white image, so you can use pretty much any ISO value you want.

8. Ya, the colors add a fun atmosphere. As said though, if you don't like the colors, B&W can clean it up.