Taking pics in small clubs with low/no light

headley

I am a novice with the awesome power of the Sony RX-100. I have been having a hard time getting the right settings to take decent shots of bands in a club setting. Lately I have been shooting on the Program Auto setting with a ISO of 3200. I get OK pics but it all depends. Can anyone pint me to a better way to shoot in low light, high movement shots.
Dave Russell.jpg
James Sasser.jpg
John and Eric.jpg

Welcome to SC.com and congrats on your camera!

In terms of movement and ISO, I think there's nothing wrong with these shots. Some people would probably like to see the white balance a bit more neutral, others would probably like to keep it as is, to reflect the mood of the setting. If you do want to change it, you'd be best off developing the raw file instead of the jpeg, because raw gives you a lot more room for extreme edits before the image starts to fall apart.

One thing you might try is underexpose a little to prevent the highlights from blowing out as they did in shots 1 and 3. You'd probably need to develop the raw file and push the shadows a good bit to end up with a properly exposed shot.

^ yup, what spinyman said is indeed an indoor / low light shooting classic. No funky colours, and you can also get away with lots of noise before it starts becoming bothersome in a black&white image, so you can use pretty much any ISO value you want.

Back