TCSTV Leica M Review Video

Discussion in 'Leica M Forum' started by TCSJordan, Mar 20, 2013.

1. TCSJordan

TCSJordan SC Regular

Oct 22, 2011
    Hey everyone,

Here's a Leica M review I just finished editing!

[video=youtube;lX7i7MyjUmc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX7i7MyjUmc[/video]

We compare it to the M9 and RX1. I think you'll find the results interesting.

• Like Like x 9
  2. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Nice P&S:) Thanks for the review.

3. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Terrific video, as always!

4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I am PRO modernizing Leica cameras. I am ANTI doing it in a way that is subpar. Only add a feature to your camera when you can do it as well or better than everyone else.

As always, I enjoy your reviews.

5. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    Interesting and nicely done.

6. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    ahhhhhhhhhhh disappointed to hear the video function on the M is not that great.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    Great video. Seems like an awesome camera to me. I'll look forward to buying one in about 8-10 years :).

8. TCSJordan

TCSJordan SC Regular

Oct 22, 2011
    None of the classic photography brands were able to get video right on the first try. It's just a shame it will probably be 3-4 years before we see what Leica can do on their sophomore effort.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    It sounded so positive though, that interview with Oeynhausen sounded like they were taking the video function seriously. I thought Leica might've had the benefit of learning from Canon's journey developing their 5DMkII to the improved MkIII (re: the video features/quality). Leica would've also seen how high end filmmaking ventures like Red camera developed a specific M mount adapter for their filmmaking cameras was an acknowledgment of the quality of Leica lenses applied in filmmaking, albeit that adapter was predominantly to allow the use of the legendary Noctilux.

Very informative review by the way, enjoyed it.

10. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    I hope the video quality can be improved in future firmwares, particularly the stuttering effect you mentioned in your review. I saw a bit of that in Overgaard's video clip too, and lots of other artefacts. I was hoping that it was due to his lack of experience in video and online compression, etc.

11. TCSJordan

TCSJordan SC Regular

Oct 22, 2011
    Some of the issues could be addressed in firmware, I really hope a proper 180 degree shutter is one of the first ones. That said, I'll keep using Leica glass on my beloved FS700 until Leica gets it right on an M camera.

12. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Me too, me too.