TCSTV X-T1 Test with Nick Devlin

Discussion in 'Fuji X Forum' started by TCSJordan, Feb 17, 2014.

1. TCSJordan

TCSJordan SC Regular

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Brilliant video However I now have G.A.S BIG TIME!! What a nice camera! :love:

3. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    I do NOT need another camera.... dammit!

4. retow

retow SC All-Pro

Jul 24, 2010
    I watched the video and did not feel any GAS attacks at all. The sensor is getting a liitle old in its tooth, no weathersealed lenses yet and the ones coming are only zooms and will be big, they say. Another Fuji with the "fastest AF". Still no perfect solution for raw files. Granted, everything looks nicely made but Sony with its A7(r) really spoils all mft or aps-c parties in bodies not smaller or lighter then the A7(r). An then there is the poor man`s Otus, the 1.8/55mm prime for the A7, almost reason alone to buy a A7.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    This is perhaps something of a "coming of age" camera for Fujifilm. The camera that could directly replace rather than supplement a DSLR setup, especially when their new lenses come on-line. Mirrorless ILCs are mature enough now that you needn't make excuses for them if they are done right, and the X-T1 should be right up near the head of the pack. I don't necessarily want one but I'd love to have a play with one.

6. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    We had one in store for a few hours and it was a lovely looking camera and felt nice in the hand with the grip but it was small. It look smaller in real life than it does on video. Still a lovely camera.

7. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    What you said!

Cheers, Jock

8. rbelyell

rbelyell SC Top Veteran

May 14, 2013
    NY Mtns
    enjoyable and informative! and a beautiful looking camera.

however, with the advent of the A7/R and Df, and the continued improvement of m4/3 sensor tech as in 2013 camera of the year, oly em1, i continue to wonder what apsc offers, what is its market niche? combined with many large lenses and slr comparable zooms, it cannot match m4/3 for compactness. and the sensor tech--and raw conversion probs--have not advanced to where IQ can compete with FF. and now FF is affordable. so where does apsc fit in?

9. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    As always, I really enjoyed your video review - good information along with humor. To me as a veteran X100 shooter, this looks like an excellent next step into the interchangeable world.

Many thanks!

10. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Those Fuji JPEGs that Nick got out of his camera are just wonderful. Who needs RAW?

AF tracking at 8 fps? From a mirrorless camera? Who needs DSLRs?

Initial photos OF the camera made me think it was a bit ugly. But in the video, I think it's quite understated and good-looking. I especially like it with the grip and the 56mm, but alas I have no money for cool new cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I'm in the same "alas" boat...for now, too. Maybe we can buy a gently used one in a year.:biggrin:

12. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Thanks for the video Jordan! As always, very enjoyable.

IMO, APS-C is probably still a good compromise between sensor size, camera size, and lens size. m4/3 is probably a better compromise.

The size of my A7 is nice and compact (similar to the EM1 and XT1), but it appears that the native lenses will always be substantially chunkier than their smaller sensor counterparts. And the beef against Sony is always the lack of native lens and/or uninspiring native lenses. I do wonder how many lenses Sony will actually make available for the public before they pump out new A7/7r bodies. Hopefully, Sony will NOT take the NEX approach.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rbelyell

rbelyell SC Top Veteran

May 14, 2013
    NY Mtns
    yeah, i generally agree about the sony lenses, but wow, that zeiss FE 55/1.4 paired with the A7 looks awesome! also, though its ridiculously priced now, the nikon Df is really just a harbinger of what can be done to make compact, interesting FFs where the backward lens compatibility allows for a tremendous amount from which to choose. the variation will inevitably increase and the price will inevitably come down on these and be competitive with sony and thus with apsc.

also, if we do the math, the sony FF lenses are no bigger than their apsc FL equivalents (but much bigger than their m4/3 FL equivalents). it just leaves me feeling apsc is 'betwixt and between', very nice, but not the best at either compactness on the 'twixt' or IQ on the 'tween'...):

14. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I was playing at CameraSize.com, and the Sony FF mirrorless lenses are bigger than their APS-C mirrorless counter-parts. Well, I guess we don't have too many lenses to compare right now! But let's just take the excellent 55/1.8. It's 20mm longer and 100 grams heavier than Fuji's 35/1.4. Sony's FE 28-70/3.5-5.6 is 23mm and 100 grams heavier than Sony's own 18-55/3.5-5.6 for the NEX. I'm not much of an engineer, but I guess there's just no way around the laws of physics when it comes to lenses (so I've been told by smarter people).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Luckypenguin

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I agree on the looks. When you see a big, front-on shot of the X-T1 on the computer screen with it's chunky viewfinder hump it looks like it should be standing in front of a measure and holding a number, but seeing it in a real life scenario it looks smaller and better proportioned.

• Like Like x 1
  16. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
  17. retow

retow SC All-Pro

Jul 24, 2010
    The A7 lenses are weathersealed, the ones for the Fuji not. Wait until Fuji releases weathersealed primes, if they ever will. Except for the first series of primes (18, 35, 60), the newer Fuji lenses are heavy and bulky.

18. Luckypenguin

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Has there been any verification or clarification about the extent of the weathersealing on the A7? I ask this based on this Lensrentals article, and because of the lack of any obvious external identifiers like rubber gaskets on the lens mounts.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/01/the-a7r-teardown-a-look-inside-sonys-awesome-full-frame-mirrorless-camera

I do note from his last few sentences that while some may be better than others, NO camera can be truly guaranteed to be weathersealed.

19. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It does look very nice and Fuji is smart enough to also be expanding it's lens collection. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like most of the "wow!" cameras coming from the mirror less guys are SLR look-a-likes and most are retro at that. I'd point to the lack of an EVF in the RF style bodies but that's not true of Fuji.

20. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC