Technical aspects and opinions of art/photographs

When it comes to critics remember the words of Brendan Francis Behan

"Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves."

Now I am off to do some art, no mater how humble it is!

Oh Grant...that's simply classic! :rofl:

Just read through this thread and realised what it is about some groups (both online and in real life) I find annoying. Technical perfection is something we might strive for, and maybe even sometimes reach (I rarely do, sadly), but for that to be the sole aspect of any art that is examined, when being critiqued, is just insane (and unhelpful for the creator of the work).

Good grief look what I started. I think its good when we can civilized discussions about photography. I think a blind test is important when trying to figure out whether a piece is good or not. A piece may or may not invoke feelings about it regardless of the source. I think there is a difference between the historical importance of works of art or the artist and the quality of a piece as it is, standing on its own merits.

Something my art history class taught me in college. Gee it was a useful course afterall:rolleyes:

When it comes to critics remember the words of Brendan Francis Behan

"Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves."

Now I am off to do some art, no mater how humble it is!

Funny saying, but if they see it done enough times...

A good food critic doesn't need to know how to cook,
A good movie critic doesn't need to know how to act,
etc.

Good grief look what I started. I think its good when we can civilized discussions about photography. I think a blind test is important when trying to figure out whether a piece is good or not. A piece may or may not invoke feelings about it regardless of the source. I think there is a difference between the historical importance of works of art or the artist and the quality of a piece as it is, standing on its own merits.

Something my art history class taught me in college. Gee it was a useful course afterall:rolleyes:

Nah mate tis a great thread....with direct relevance to GAS too. Makes one think why we fall so hard for the gear we do, when many of the great images - that make techocrats cringe - could have been caught just as well if a talented and disciplined eye had a 4MP 1/2.33" zoom camera between it and its hand.

Thanks to Paul's comment over here in Bill's thread about photo criticism, I've now found this thread that I had completely missed when it was active. I believe I was away for a few days and so it just goes to show how easy it is to miss things on the forum, even when you don't want to.

Back