Tell me why I should NOT...

The auto ISO thing was a real pain in the butt for the way I shoot and its been fixed in all subsequent X cameras but there must be something about the software architecture of the X-100 that prevents a fix, or they'd have surely done it by now.

Well I for one am glad they didn't "fix" it, since I think the X100 auto iso system is infinitely better than the other X cameras, and one of the major reason I've refused to buy the X-pro / X-E1. As long as they don't allow the user to choose a minimum shutter speed for the auto iso, it's entirely useless to me (I used 1/125s on the X100).

What would be ideal for me would be something closer to the newer Nikon auto iso system, which I think is similar to Pentax.

Kristen, FWIW whatever you use to take pictures is merely an aid in getting your vision into the form of a print or a JPEG. I know you know that, but in case you're getting all wound up about it, I thought it would be good to remind you. It's a significant amount of money. And frankly, I've never thought your images were lacking.

You'll continue to make great images regardless of the camera you are using.

I highly recommend the X100, great camera, super images, handles very well. The latest firmwares have taken care of almost all of the issues with the camera, like lag and focus speed. The OVF is wonderful; love the camera layout and size.
I have a very early one with no problems with the sticky aperture blades, but I would also suggest buying new, knowing the warrantee is there is great piece of mind.
The OVF is wonderful; love the camera layout and size. I would use mine much more if it were not for the fact that I own a couple of XPros.
If you need to cut cost I would look at the silver one, you could skip the Eveready case but the hood is a must.

Well I for one am glad they didn't "fix" it, since I think the X100 auto iso system is infinitely better than the other X cameras, and one of the major reason I've refused to buy the X-pro / X-E1. As long as they don't allow the user to choose a minimum shutter speed for the auto iso, it's entirely useless to me (I used 1/125s on the X100).

What would be ideal for me would be something closer to the newer Nikon auto iso system, which I think is similar to Pentax.

I'm glad you like it because anyone with that camera appears to be stuck with it. Fui must have thought the better of it - I know I was faaaaar from the only person who disliked it with tons of complaints on the forums when the camera first came out - because the X10, X-Pro, X-EI and (I believe) XS1 all do it the more standard way with the auto ISO settings on the same menu as the manual settings. I agree it would be a lot more useful with a minimum shutter speed, but it would need to be faster than 1/125 for me to use it. When I need a fast shutter, I either use shutter priority or I manually adjust the ISO to assure a fast shutter. But for a lot of walk around shooting, I'm not too concerned with shutter speed and I like being able to switch between auto and manual ISO without a lot of menu diving...

-Ray

$1399 buys an awful lot of film, a complete darkroom setup and a scanner ...

I could, you're right. I don't feel like I have enough control over film though because I can't look back and see if I exposed properly like I can with digital and a week later after shooting I don't remember every setting for every shot. I suppose I could notebook it, it just seems an expensive learning curve albeit a novel hobby that I still may try for a short stint. I could justify it long enough to get through my film cameras, shooting each one. I doubt I will create art though. I'll be lucky if I expose properly.

Kristen, FWIW whatever you use to take pictures is merely an aid in getting your vision into the form of a print or a JPEG. I know you know that, but in case you're getting all wound up about it, I thought it would be good to remind you. It's a significant amount of money.

You're right Luke and you have amazing powers of insight ;) But one day I would like to play with the big kids even if it's smaller [albeit expensive] toys, yanno? It just won't be today.. or tomorrow.. or..

@Mike, thanks for ALL that info, I don't feel as miserable about saying no, for now. If they have addressed most of the issues like Bob said, then maybe the next time around it will be perfected. Now see if it is perfect I can't say no. I can lament though o_O

@ thanks everyone else. Your input has been helpful. I appreciate it.

Back