Tell us all about your Pentax Q - and please add your photographs!

Discussion in 'Pentax Q Forum' started by BBW, Oct 4, 2011.

1. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    In merely the blink of an eye, or it feels that way to me, we've got at least two members who've already gotten ahold of the Pentax Q!

I hope all you Pentax Q shooters will ante up here with your thoughts, reactions, impressions and, it should go without saying, your pictures. :2thumbs:

2. youtsk

youtsk New to SC

Oct 4, 2011
    I've been playing with the camera for a couple of weeks and haven't had a chance to download my photos (read: I'm lazy), but it is actually quite fun to play with. As I posted on the annoucement about pre-order, my major gripe is that there is no WYSIWYG - the final photo looks nothing like what the LCD displays before pressing the shutter button. I haven't played with my toy wideangle lens yet, but it is definitely a coat-pocket camera that has replaced the Samsung TL350 and Canon S90 for now. I'll try to post photos later.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    youtsk, thanks so much for weighing in on this new Pentax Q and welcome to Serious Compacts!

I'm 100% sure that many will be interested in seeing your photographs, so please do post some pictures when you can. Inquiring eyes are on a need to know basis! Just in case, here's a handy thread https://www.photographerslounge.org/f17/how-post-images-forum-threads-45/ to encourage you.:wink: I'd also like to invite you to stop by the Welcomes and Introductions forum, as well. Glad you found your way here!

4. Tonto

Tonto SC Rookie

I just bought one! :biggrin: Just basic black with 01 Prime for now, will be sure to post some pics after the weekend if it arrives before then.

5. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Where did you find that, John?

• Like Like x 1
  7. john m flores

Aug 13, 2012
    Manfrotto Pocket Tripod
    MP1-CO1
    Available at fine retailers

Perfect for the Q, especially since Pentax was wise enough to put the SD card and battery doors on the side.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator S.C. Charter Member

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Hey John! Do you have the Q?

9. john m flores

Aug 13, 2012
    Yup!

10. ivoire

ivoire SC All-Pro

Dec 3, 2011
    chicago burbs
    mike
  11. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    the insane crop factor nearly draws me in

12. ivoire

ivoire SC All-Pro

Dec 3, 2011
    chicago burbs
    mike
  13. Doberman

Doberman New to SC

Jun 16, 2013
    Just picked up my Q + 01 kit locally partially because of the price, but more to do with the amazing sample images posted by its users on this forum.

It's such a small, well built machine for picture making. I am astounded at how much fun this thing is.

• Like Like x 1
  14. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
    I wished all cameras were it's size. Maybe the new one will have the Sony 1/1.7" BSI Exmor R sensor in it. That would be quite a little camera. Having said that, in my experience, other than in lowlight the first gen Q holds itself quite well against the 12MP sensored M43 cameras. If the new one used that Sony sensor, it would go along way in closing the lowlight gap.

15. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    Well my Q is sitting in its courier bag at home - it arrived just before I had to set off for work. I can't wait to get home and start to play with my new toy!

16. pbancr

pbancr New to SC

Mar 18, 2012
    Ct, USA
    Pam
    holy moley! thats one heck of a setup!

17. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    Some pics from the Q's first outing...
    With the 01 Prime:
    [​IMG]
    IMGP0012 by theoldsmithy, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    IMGP0026 by theoldsmithy, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    IMGP0025 by theoldsmithy, on Flickr
    and with the 02 zoom:
    [​IMG]
    IMGP0029 by theoldsmithy, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    IMGP0040 by theoldsmithy, on Flickr

I realised after viewing all the photos that the default image setting is "bright", and I would probably prefer the natural setting as it's easier to tweak contrast up rather than down. But overall I'm very impressed, especially with the 01 prime. Now if there was a 35mm equivalent prime that would be even better....

18. robert

robert New to SC

Jul 28, 2013
    North Florida USA
    Couple from Pittsburgh

IMGP0011.jpgIMGP0057.jpgIMGP0058.jpg

19. super8man

super8man New to SC

Jul 31, 2013
    Just joined the forum - looking for active interest in this awesome little compact. I have been waiting for this camera for a long time (as you can see by my love for movie cameras and the idea of using cine lenses on a digital still):

[​IMG]

and my cat:

[​IMG]

North Vancouver:
    [​IMG]

Cheers!

Oh, here's a link to my website about the Canon lenses...
    The Canon Cine 8 Regular 8mm Movie Camera by Super 8 Man!

• Like Like x 1
  20. robertmwilliams

robertmwilliams SC Regular

Jul 22, 2013
    I posted these in the Q sample forum but what I did not say, and what keeps me using the Q10, is that had I not owned this 'carry everywhere' gem I would never have gotten these shots as both were unexpected moments in different restaurant with my oldest kid.

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertmwilliams/11722933806" title="A face in the dark - 1 - PENTAX Q10 - 02 STANDARD ZOOM by Robert Williams, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="A face in the dark - 1 - PENTAX Q10 - 02 STANDARD ZOOM"></a>

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertmwilliams/11678450393" title="Skyler - 1 - PENTAX Q10 - 02 STANDARD ZOOM by Robert Williams, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="Skyler - 1 - PENTAX Q10 - 02 STANDARD ZOOM"></a>

• Like Like x 1