Tent/Shade Parking Cover Thing

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by davect01, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Seriously, that's the best I can call it. I am sure some one knows the technical name but, I have no idea.

Saw this while driving about. Had the NEX-6 and 30mm Sigma attached.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Burkey

Burkey SC Top Veteran

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    Cool tent "thing". Well seen.
    . . . David
  3. Thanks. Still don't know what it's called, but fascinating to look at.
  4. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    I would simply call this a Tent Structure - Tensile Membrane Structure if you want to be posh

First to use it on a grande scale was Frei Otto for the Munich Olympics in 1972

the reason for this to be glazed was so the cameras could pick out the crowds of spectators & the athletes in the field - originally planned for all Grp / tent panels which made camera panning problematic

ie Photography influenced Architecture

Link - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Munich_-_Frei_Otto_Tensed_structures_-_5293.jpg
  5. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    As a side note - The Structures of the Marsh Arabs made from bundles of reeds are flexible / organic / sustainable & capable of provide large spaces shelters

in my student days we were told that the shape & the fluting of the stone columns (Egyptian / Greek) was derived from structures made from reeds - not having photos at that time we sort of dismissed that as poetic nonsense

6. Neat info. Thanks for digging that up.