Canon Showcase Test shot with new Canon G9x and Fuji XQ1

The canon shot looks great but the Fuji shot looks pretty bad. That's a real difference in exposure/DR. The highlights are blown out on the Fuji. Maybe set the two for the same aperture and speed. The Canon might have much better DR but I'd experiment a bit.

The Fuji picture looks like it would benefit from a touch of exposure compensation - maybe as little as a third of a stop less exposure would control the highlights.

And I far prefer the aspect ratio of the Canon.

Interesting comparison.

-R

I ignored the G9X when it was first announced but I'm looking at it closely now. I've been searching a while for a very pocketable camera that can give me decent results in low-light situations.

Think of being in a better restaurant where I would want to carry the camera in the blazer or shirt pocket, not use flash to distract other diners, have autofocus fast and reliable enough for the situation (photographing friends or family on special occasions) and image quality high enough to use the inevitable ISO 3200 for snapshots.

I had been using my old Fuji XF1 for the job but the autofocus isn't reliable enough in that kind of light. I thought about the XQ1 or 2 but, frankly, the 2/3 sensor really is stretching it beyond ISO 800 in that kind of situation. 1600 can be used but, in low light, one can see the files starting to look a bit rough even with normal viewing.

I was looking at a Sony RX100 or RX100 II now that prices are dropping. But, from what I've heard and read, the autofocus on those cameras is showing its age and they're not as pocketable as the G9X. One of the Sonys would have been my choice until I began paying attention to the G9X.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Last edited:
My af experience with 3 P&S was LX100>RX100>G7X. I like the Canon colors/exposure, but Canon G7X af was not that good in low light and close focus. From what I read g5x/g3x are similar, eg not speedy cameras... I have not checked g9x.

I ignored the G9X when it was first announced but I'm looking at it closely now. I've been searching a while for a very pocketable camera that can give me decent results in low-light situations. Think of being in a better restaurant where I would want to carry the camera in the blazer or shirt pocket, not use flash to distract other diners, have autofocus fast and reliable enough for the situation (photographing friends or family on special occasions) and image quality high enough to use the inevitable ISO 3200 for snapshots.

I had been using my old Fuji XF1 for the but the autofocus isn't reliable enough in that kind of light. I thought about the XQ1 or 2 but, frankly, the 2/3 sensor really is stretching it beyond ISO 800 in that kind of situation. 1600 can be used but, in low light, one can see the files starting to look a bit rough even with normal viewing.

I was looking at a Sony RX100 or RX100 II now that prices are dropping. But, from what I've heard and read, the autofocus on those cameras is showing its age and they're not as pocketable as the G9X. One of the Sonys would have been my choice until I began paying attention to the G9X.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

My problem is, most pro and user reviews end up comparing the G9X with cameras like the G7X, LX100 and RX100 IV. The natural competition, price, size and spec-wise, is the original RX100 and the RX100 II. I wish I could get more on that comparison.

Doug, what kind of memory card are you using in your G9X? Or, more precisely, what speed? I have a couple of unused SanDisk Extreme Plus 32GB cards that I can use with the G9X. 90MB/sec read speed but 60MB/sec write speed. Fast enough to take advantage of everything the camera has to offer?

Back