The 11th Serious Compacts Salon Challenge

HeatherTheVet

Top Veteran
Name
Heather
Hi team, I'd like to set a photo challenge that people can have a go at. I'd especially like to see photos from folk who don't normally join in these challenges - they are open to everyone and we really do want people to enter, even if they don't think they can win or are a little daunted. With that in mind I have chosen

WAVES

as the theme for the next 2 weeks. You may interpret it however you wish. Submissions should be in by Friday 25th Jan (Burns Night) around midnight GMT.

The normal rules apply:

1. Either take a picture that matches the nominated theme or select one from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the picture in order to enter it.

2. There are several ways to add your photos to the current salon thread: 1. upload your entry to your SC user gallery (all entries must be present in an SC gallery), which you automatically get if you are registered on the SC forum, so if you aren`t registered you will need to if you would like to join the fun. (Don't know about the "gallery" yet? Then read this: SC Gallery FAQ please read it carefully if you are new to using the site's software.) 2. embed from Flickr or another similar web hosting photo site and 3. use the attachment method. All three are explained here:How to post images in forum threads

3. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement picture that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

4. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!

5. The person who submitted the chosen picture will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Salon Challenge and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the SC Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

6. The curator can't enter his or her own salon.

7. Please, don´t be shy...Participate and have fun!

8. Each salon should be open for about two weeks.

I don't do subtle

1060212.jpg

Barrie

This desert rat is going to have to think about this. Hmmmmm.

I guess that you'll have to wait a long time for high tide in New Mexico! Living as I do within 5 miles of the sea I did contemplate making it more difficult for myself by avoiding the obvious type of picture but in the end I gave in, so good luck and I wait with interest to see how the landlocked amongst us rise to this challenge.

Barrie

AZK9lover did a good job of it, and he's in Arizona, but the scene is more verdant than anything locally -- especially in mid-winter. I could go to my archives and pull out something I took when I lived on the Atlantic coast (Boston), but I really want to see if if can come up with something now. Of course it IS mid-winter, and my brain is frozen along with the rest of it, so I'll just have to see.

AZK9lover did a good job of it, and he's in Arizona, but the scene is more verdant than anything locally -- especially in mid-winter.

Thanks Larry, but I need to confess that the photo was actually taken on a trip to Whidbey Island, off of Seattle, WA. Living in the Southwest desert like yourself, I couldn't rely on any significant local bodies of water or lush greenery for waves...

Thanks Larry, but I need to confess that the photo was actually taken on a trip to Whidbey Island, off of Seattle, WA. Living in the Southwest desert like yourself, I couldn't rely on any significant local bodies of water or lush greenery for waves...

Well, I know there are waves other than those made by water, but the ones I can think of are invisible -- sounds waves, light waves, etc. I know lights waves ARE, in fact, visible, at least the -- um -- visible spectrum, but not really as waves. If the point of a challenge is to be challenging, this one is very successful. I still have about 10 days, so all is not lost -- yet.

"Light is a disturbance of electric and magnetic fields that travels in the form of a wave. Imagine throwing a pebble into a still pond and watching the circular ripples moving outward. Like those ripples, each light wave has a series of high points known as crests, where the electric field is highest, and a series of low points known as troughs, where the electric field is lowest. The wavelength is the distance between two wave crests, which is the same as the distance between two troughs. The number of wave crests that pass through a given point in one second is called the frequency, measured in units of cycles per second called Hertz. The speed of the light wave equals the frequency times the wavelength."

With all that going for them, then they are waves, so stop throwing pebbles Paul and causing ripples.

Barrie

Back