1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The 1st Serious Compact Salon Challenge: Companionship

Discussion in 'Photo Challenges' started by BBW, Jun 22, 2012.

1. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    At Amin's request, I'm kicking of a version of a group effort that has been quite successful and enjoyable over across the hall at Mu-43. It's a bi-weekly challenge - each one will run for two weeks, and it's self-sustaining which takes the organizing pressure off of everyone. All we need to do is participate and upload our photo of choice.:biggrin:

Here's the plan as described by Amin
    My choice as curator of this first go round is - "companionship". Companionship means all sorts of things to each of us - a good book in a comfortable chair, a pair of old well worn shoes, a pint in our local watering hole, spending time with an old friend...wildlife is full of examples of companionship...and, of course, many of us have our pets as some of our closest companions... Use your own interpretation and your camera of choice, film or digital, to make an image during these next two weeks, follow the guidelines below - and please don't be shy or hold back! The idea behind this, as it was for the Salon Challenge is to get us all seeing, and shooting.:drinks:

Here are the rules for the Salon Challenge:

1. Either take a picture that matches the nominated theme or select one from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the picture in order to enter it.

2. There are several ways to add your photos to the current salon thread: 1. upload your entry to your SC user gallery (all entries must be present in an SC gallery), which you automatically get if you are registered on the SC forum, so if you aren`t registered you will need to if you would like to join the fun. (Don't know about the "gallery" yet? Then read this: SC Gallery FAQ please read it carefully if you are new to using the site's software.) 2. embed from Flickr or another similar web hosting photo site and 3. use the attachment method. All three are explained here:https://www.photographerslounge.org/f19/how-post-images-forum-threads-45/

3. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement picture that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

4. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!

5. The person who submitted the chosen picture will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Salon Challenge and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the SC Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

6. The curator can't enter his or her own salon.

7. Please, don´t be shy...Participate and have fun!

8. Each salon should be open for about two weeks.

This competition ends at midnight New York time - and in this case that will be July 6th. Happy shooting!

• Like Like x 10
  2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    ... and so the SCSC (SC²?) was brought into this world. Awesome! Looking forward to it, and I'm happy that there'll still be a challenge, I find them great fun and great motivators. Now, on to find some companionship... :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Ah, good news!

Is rule number 2 an attempt to maintain the integrity of old salons (avoid broken flickr links, etc). I think that it was decided to relax that rule at mu-43 and I'm not sure if it was being followed that closely anyway.

4. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Ah, well...I didn't know that. We can relax the rules for sure - I'm all for relaxation.:th_salute: I'll update that number 2 right now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I think this is such a good name ...

• Like Like x 2
  6. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I can't find the keyboard key for "to the second power" (or squared)
    :wink:

7. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    oh you youngsters ... Alt-253

8. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    –™∞£

Not for me. ™∞£

9. bartjeej

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Alt-2 or Alt Gr-2 (the right one of the 2 Alt keys)?

10. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Alt Gr 2 gives me ². Being on Linux Alt 2 just moves me from desktop 1 to desktop 2.

Barrie

11. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    oops I have inadvertently derailed the thread :redface:

• Like Like x 2
  12. bartjeej

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    I just found that ctrl-alt-2 also works, on this computer at least...

[edit] but yeah, let's get back on topic :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    On Windows > Start Menu to All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Character Map and look up your own. SC² [Alt 0178]. If you have another OS, figure out where your fonts are managed and look there for your shortcuts.

And I am glad there is still a challenge. =)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    You realise that all these posts count as your entries, right? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 6
  15. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
  16. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
  17. Alf

Alf SC Top Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    • Like Like x 10
  18. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    I love that they are walking in perfect time. What a nattily dressed gentleman! Instantly made me think of the main character in my favourite book - "The End of the Alphabet" by C S Richardson. The hardback is a thing of great beauty.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    This is a scan of a 20 something year old negative - Joseph the poodle keeping an unwell daughter Liz company.

Liz_Joseph-rs.

• Like Like x 10
  20. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Our pet companions always seem to understand when we're not feeling well. It's just one of their great qualities.

• Like Like x 1