The 27th Photographer's Lounge Salon Challenge: LUST (Closed)

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle
Allllrighty, folks. For this 27th go round I'd like you to make me want something... anything. A cold beer, a hot sandwich, a fast car, a slow stroll through the countryside. Your goal is to make me say "oh THAT would be nice" as loudly as possible. I'll give this one a good week at least, and will give respectful but honest feedback to anyone who enters, for all my measly opinion is worth.

The fine print:

1. Either take pictures that match the nominated theme or select some from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the images in order to enter it.

2. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement pictures that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photochallenge, after all!

4. The person who submitted the chosen picture will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Salon Challenge and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the PL Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

5. The curator cannot enter his or her own salon.

Leica MM plus Noctilux:

image.jpeg

Three years ago this month, my wife and I (joined for portions by daughters and mothers-in-law) spent what I realized then and realize even more now, was the vacation/trip of a lifetime. All of July spent on Italy's Amalfi Coast, the first two weeks in Praiano, the next two in Positano. Both of the apartments we rented were quite modest, but both had terraces with the most beautiful views I ever need to see. I chose for this lust shot one from the terrace in Positano only because the view from the Praiano terrace was too broad and breath-taking to really begin to do it justice in a photograph. I lust for the portions of each day spent out on these incredibly beautiful terraces just soaking in the views I may or may not ever see again. Even if I do, I'll fully know what to expect and probably won't be quite as overwhelmed as I was the first time, when my eyes were fresh...

9276715001_81a0a145dc_h.jpg
RX1 Positano-1-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

Three years ago this month, my wife and I (joined for portions by daughters and mothers-in-law) spent what I realized then and realize even more now, was the vacation/trip of a lifetime. All of July spent on Italy's Amalfi Coast, the first two weeks in Praiano, the next two in Positano. Both of the apartments we rented were quite modest, but both had terraces with the most beautiful views I ever need to see. I chose for this lust shot one from the terrace in Positano only because the view from the Praiano terrace was too broad and breath-taking to really begin to do it justice in a photograph. I lust for the portions of each day spent out on these incredibly beautiful terraces just soaking in the views I may or may not ever see again. Even if I do, I'll fully know what to expect and probably won't be quite as overwhelmed as I was the first time, when my eyes were fresh...

9276715001_81a0a145dc_h.jpg
RX1 Positano-1-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray
Know where you are coming from Ray. It is gorgeous in that region. I stayed in Sorrento for a week and had views across the Bay of Naples towards Vesuvius from our balcony. Didn't make Positano that time but it is on our list.

Casey – A very crisply executed product shot, and a strong tug at my childhood (in the suburbs of Atlanta, actually), spent reading the Service Merchandise catalog every December, lusting after all the diving and calculator watches. I remember circling everything I wanted, as though Santa would somehow get a copy of the catalog and just make it all happen. I love the green color of the numerals, and lack of clutter.

Dalethorn – Just thinking about the price tag on that setup makes me queasy. Somehow I stopped at “seems nice but not really for me” on the escalator of Leica product lust, probably because I didn’t really get serious about gear until Fuji’s X line was already a thing. Fuji managed to capture *enough* of the old time Leica haptics juju to satisfy me, while slashing the price and upping the reliability. I see this rig like I see a jet ski: I want someone to loan me one for a little while, but then I want to gingerly hand it back to them before I break it. J

Petach – This one hit me hard. This might win. As a fully realized concept, I don’t think anything else here can touch it – I’ll keep going through them and think about it, but this concept is so clean and striking that, once pulled off, cannot fail to leave a big impression. Also, my dad built a Ford Cobra kit car some 19 years ago (with a 428 in it, making somewhere just north of 550hp), which I’ve gotten to drive plenty of times over the years. So I know well the sensation of dropping a gear to pass on a sunny day in something woefully lacking in weather protection but ridiculously well-endowed under the bonnet. Yours just has the driving gear on the wrong side. J

Miguel – Another good angle on “lust,” and one my wife and daughter would jump at, if they were gluten free, anyway. Those two can find a gluten free bakery with their eyes closed. I wish this one either had front lighting, or that the back lighting just overwhelmed the cupcakes into almost being silhouettes. The blue blob keeps distracting me too, but then I see the real chunks of strawberry in the frosting, and I’m back on board.

Pictogramax – This would be fantastic. Right on target. Reminds me of where my friends honeymooned, on the coast of southern Italy and Croatia. Also the contrasting blue evening light with the warm tungsten sign lights is nice. Good details in the shadows, but doesn’t look “processed.” That’s a hard balance to strike.

Donlaw – A classicist’s take on the theme. Nice. I like it in b&w as well, where the shapes and gradients speak for themselves. That tallest building looks like one here in Boston, I’m wondering where you took it? Actually now that I think of it, the whole thing reminds of me of the MFA in the Fens.

Luke – Suddenly we have a real story, told in a shot. An obviously unscripted moment, and cleanly framed and shot. Both are relatively in focus, even though it’s dark where you shot. Smaller sensor? Or manual decision to restrict aperture down? I feel like anything APSC in Auto would’ve gone right for f2 or 1.4, whatever was on tap, which would’ve caused you to pick who is to be in focus. They’re so human here. We can all totally understand the smugness of the winner, and the jealousy of the loser.

Ray – Probably the most compelling subject of all of these, for me. We travel a lot, and time spent with my wife on a balcony such as this would be … absolutely heaven. The shots I saw from that trip have stayed with me. And this one, with the delicate purple flowers framing it up top, is just almost too good. This might win as well.

Steve – Back when Harleys were cutting edge! That sense of flow and shape, and oh those colors together. I think 1) being on a motorcycle, 2) having all weekend open, and 3) going somewhere pretty that I’ve never been… might be my ideal time alone. I wish there were some way to shoot this bike without the admiring guy in it, or the edge of the plaque. Awesome bike, though.

Dave – Again, something I’d LOVE to borrow, then give right back. I think the 70’s Dino is my favorite Ferrari, for no particular reason, and this model reminds me of it a little. I see these around Boston somewhat often, usually driving around in a loop so everyone can admire them.

OK, I’m going to give it to Petach. It’s such a pure, compelling image, I just can’t say no to it. Well played, sir.

Casey – A very crisply executed product shot, and a strong tug at my childhood (in the suburbs of Atlanta, actually), spent reading the Service Merchandise catalog every December, lusting after all the diving and calculator watches. I remember circling everything I wanted, as though Santa would somehow get a copy of the catalog and just make it all happen. I love the green color of the numerals, and lack of clutter.

Dalethorn – Just thinking about the price tag on that setup makes me queasy. Somehow I stopped at “seems nice but not really for me” on the escalator of Leica product lust, probably because I didn’t really get serious about gear until Fuji’s X line was already a thing. Fuji managed to capture *enough* of the old time Leica haptics juju to satisfy me, while slashing the price and upping the reliability. I see this rig like I see a jet ski: I want someone to loan me one for a little while, but then I want to gingerly hand it back to them before I break it. J

Petach – This one hit me hard. This might win. As a fully realized concept, I don’t think anything else here can touch it – I’ll keep going through them and think about it, but this concept is so clean and striking that, once pulled off, cannot fail to leave a big impression. Also, my dad built a Ford Cobra kit car some 19 years ago (with a 428 in it, making somewhere just north of 550hp), which I’ve gotten to drive plenty of times over the years. So I know well the sensation of dropping a gear to pass on a sunny day in something woefully lacking in weather protection but ridiculously well-endowed under the bonnet. Yours just has the driving gear on the wrong side. J

Miguel – Another good angle on “lust,” and one my wife and daughter would jump at, if they were gluten free, anyway. Those two can find a gluten free bakery with their eyes closed. I wish this one either had front lighting, or that the back lighting just overwhelmed the cupcakes into almost being silhouettes. The blue blob keeps distracting me too, but then I see the real chunks of strawberry in the frosting, and I’m back on board.

Pictogramax – This would be fantastic. Right on target. Reminds me of where my friends honeymooned, on the coast of southern Italy and Croatia. Also the contrasting blue evening light with the warm tungsten sign lights is nice. Good details in the shadows, but doesn’t look “processed.” That’s a hard balance to strike.

Donlaw – A classicist’s take on the theme. Nice. I like it in b&w as well, where the shapes and gradients speak for themselves. That tallest building looks like one here in Boston, I’m wondering where you took it? Actually now that I think of it, the whole thing reminds of me of the MFA in the Fens.

Luke – Suddenly we have a real story, told in a shot. An obviously unscripted moment, and cleanly framed and shot. Both are relatively in focus, even though it’s dark where you shot. Smaller sensor? Or manual decision to restrict aperture down? I feel like anything APSC in Auto would’ve gone right for f2 or 1.4, whatever was on tap, which would’ve caused you to pick who is to be in focus. They’re so human here. We can all totally understand the smugness of the winner, and the jealousy of the loser.

Ray – Probably the most compelling subject of all of these, for me. We travel a lot, and time spent with my wife on a balcony such as this would be … absolutely heaven. The shots I saw from that trip have stayed with me. And this one, with the delicate purple flowers framing it up top, is just almost too good. This might win as well.

Steve – Back when Harleys were cutting edge! That sense of flow and shape, and oh those colors together. I think 1) being on a motorcycle, 2) having all weekend open, and 3) going somewhere pretty that I’ve never been… might be my ideal time alone. I wish there were some way to shoot this bike without the admiring guy in it, or the edge of the plaque. Awesome bike, though.

Dave – Again, something I’d LOVE to borrow, then give right back. I think the 70’s Dino is my favorite Ferrari, for no particular reason, and this model reminds me of it a little. I see these around Boston somewhat often, usually driving around in a loop so everyone can admire them.

OK, I’m going to give it to Petach. It’s such a pure, compelling image, I just can’t say no to it. Well played, sir.

Oh gosh! And in the face of stiff competition. Thanks so much. I loved the car, but in my current condition I cannot get in or out of such a car without showing my knickers! And shredding my dignity. The heart strings are tugged during our fine summer weather and I mourn the loss whenever I see one.

Need to get my thinking head on for a subject. I am off to Australia for three months in just over a week!

Back