1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

The Age of Steam ...

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by pdh, May 15, 2013.

1. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I stuck these in here as they are piece of documentation to my way of thinking.
    These are glass magic lantern slides, photographed by me on a light box.
    I have no idea how old they are - late Victorian or early Edwardian I suppose; they were "in the family" as long as I can remember.
    If one can date the newest locomotive, it will be possible to know at least the earliest they could possibly be.

"La France," Paris Exhibition, 1900.

"Lady of the Lake," International Exhibition, London, 1862.

Four-Cylinder Compound Coal Engine.

"King Edward VII," Type of Engine used to convey Royalty

Two-Cylinder Express Engine "Precursor,", built 1904

Four-Cylinder Compound Express Goods Locomotive.

Six Wheels Coupled Side-Tank Passenger Engine.

2. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Paul, I believe that those are all London and North Western Railway company locomotives, the earliest would be "Lady of the Lake", a class introduced in 1859, the others somewhat later, say around 1880. I'm not sure of the livery used by the LNWR buit I believe they were predominantly black and whilst many of them bear some form of crest they have no other company logos on them, so are they perhaps photographs actually taken in the works (Crewe?) where they were built and are actually finished in shades of grey which were perhaps easier to photograph than a black engine.

Barrie

3. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
  4. neat shots and the processing adds some fun.

5. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Um, well the only processing I did was to crop them, which of course chopped off all the information on the slides that Barrie has so carefully researched :redface:

Here's a snap of one of the slides "in hand" ...

20130515_2735-76-1.

6. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    heh heh... "processing."

7. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I've updated the original post to add the titles as given on the individual slides

8. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    I wish to make it known to all and sundry that the crib sheet clues weren't available to me at the time of posts 2 and 3 :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: , I had to work at that.