Music The Amazing Emporium of Wondrous Tunes (aka: What are you listening to?)

Man, I have to say they are one bunch of talented and fun musicians. George Clinton is getting old, and really needed to sit down a couple of times, but he was always more of a conductor of all the madness going on around him, than a musician anyway. And after lighting up a couple of joints, he was jumping up and down the stage as if he was 35 instead of 75 :hmmm: too bad that the sound at the venue was awful. Still, it was a proper party.

As for Make America Funky Again... this was in Holland, but America will always remain One Nation Under a Groove:dance3:

Maggot Brain is where I got introduced to Funkadelic. Now if you listen through it sometime, then compare Buckethead's renditions of Soothsayer. Amazing!

I haven't listened to this one in a few years, so I threw it on the turntable this afternoon. It is even better than I remember it. And I think it has one of the most striking album covers I've ever seen. This LP must have looked VERY strange in 1962.....much more at home in an art gallery than in a record shop. Give it a spin, if you get a chance....it's "Undercurrent" by Bill Evans & Jim Hall.

33577874430_8a95c1d13e_c.jpg
P1010130
by Luke, on Flickr

Compared to What?

Love this recording by Les McCann and Ed Harris. Social criticism song (Nixon, Vietnam, Abortion etc) originally recorded by Roberta Flack, but this is by far my favourite version. I play it loud in my car. Dig that Harris sax and the gravel voice of McCann.

1969 Montreux Jazz Festival.

First.....the story.
It was 1973, I was almost 18 years old and serving in the Royal Air Force in Germany. I was the epitome of "callow youth". She was 40 something, Austrian and worked in the NAAFI on camp. She took a shine to me at the camp disco on a Saturday night and we danced the whole night. She took me back to her place.....a small bedsit off camp and she put this piece of music on. The light was off but street lamps offered enough light just to make it seem mysterious and romantic for this 18 year old. We danced to this music.....close enough that you could not get a Rizla Cigarette paper between us. The slow beat and bass line went on and on for an eternity of 13 minutes! I think I was falling in love. She had a gold tooth at the front which my eye fixed on whenever she spoke to me. She had a lovely figure, had never married and had no children. We were an item whenever duties allowed (night work, late evening etc)

Then, I found out that she didn't love just me......she loved half of the RAF Regiment; and on a regular basis! Devastating. It put me off women for at least ....what....a day? One door shuts and another opens. Ho hum.

When I look back I realise she must have been alive during Anschluss in Austria. Would I be so enamoured of her now....at our current ages.

Is she still alive?

Whatever, this piece takes me back to the heady and giddy excitement of pre-discovery

Masterpiece by The Temptations

Last edited:
Back