1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The British Navies oldest active ship puts to sea and is joined by sail (4 images)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by grebeman, Jun 3, 2013.

1. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    HMS Illustrious is the British Navies oldest active serving ship. Here she puts to sea from Devonport naval base

Here she turns to port to negotiate the Drake Channel between Western King Point, Eastern King Point and Drake's Island having passed through the narrows off Devil's Point

Then a turn to Starboard to negotiate the Smeaton Passage into Plymouth Sound

Waiting in Millbay docks for Illustrious to pass was the sail training ship Stavros S Niarchos, a more unusual job for the Plymouth civilian ships pilot to undertake

A contrast in styles, although the warship is some 20 years older than the sailing ship

Barrie

2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I thought of you the other day Barrie when I saw the juxtaposition of a massive modern freighter passing (what I assume) was a recreation of an couple hundred year old schooner on Lake Michigan. Alas, my cameras were at home.

3. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Thanks for the thought Luke, what a shame about the lack of a camera!

Barrie

4. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    In the last picture, between the aircraft carrier and the sailing ship you can just about make out the Eddystone Lighthouse fourteen miles away on the horizon. It's only a vertical smudge, but I believe that's it.

I used to live in Plymouth, and on a clear day you could see the stump of Smeaton's Lighthouse alongside it too.

-R

5. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Richard, well spotted. I hadn't noticed it but I guess you're right. At least it proves it wasn't raining!

Barrie

6. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Nice!! Love photos of ships. And thanks for disclosing the total number of photos posted ahead of time! ;)

7. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    I've taken to doing that now for some reason that I find difficult to recall :laugh1:

Barrie

8. Great shots.

You really need a longer lens though.

9. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    That was the 45-175mm zoom at full stretch for some of the images. My 4/3 Olympus 50-200mm is a big beast and not that much longer, although I have a 1.4 times extender that retains auto focus with the GH2, but it's very slow to focus and heavy, so not used as a walk about!

Barrie

10. But if ever a subject is good for a big, slow lens it would be this.

Still a fine series.

11. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    Nice Barrie. Thanks for sharing.

12. Will

Will SC All-Pro

Aug 30, 2010
    England
    Interesting pictures and the most spooky coincidence. I'm having a blue plaque put up on my house next week to commemorate the man who lived here and built the first Eddystone lighthouse. I had never heard of him and now the current Eddytone lighthouse gets mentioned in this thread within days of the installation!

Images not taken by me.
    Image of the man trying out positions for where the real plaque might be placed.

Museum Street A1 by meaning_of_light, on Flickr

Close up

Museum Street A4 by meaning_of_light, on Flickr

13. Will

Will SC All-Pro

Aug 30, 2010
    England
    Just realised that is me standing on the left.

14. Neat

Very neat!

15. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    3rd Eddystone light

1080896-b_w.

Behind the pilot launch and standing on Plymouth Hoe is the remains of the third Eddystone light built by John Smeaton between 1756 and 1759. It pioneered the oak tree shape and used interlocking granite blocks. It stood for about 120 years before the rock on which it stood eroded to the extent that the lighthouse shook when hit by large waves. It was dismantled and erected on Plymouth Hoe as a memorial.

There is a model of Winstanley's lighthouse in the museum in Plymouth.

16. Will

Will SC All-Pro

Aug 30, 2010
    England
    Interesting. Seems like the Eddystone lighthouses have a lot of stories to tell. Poor old Winstanley always said he would really like to be in his lighthouse during a big storm, he was and the storm destroyed his lighthouse with him in it!