The death of photography?

Here's a "food for thought" shot.

DSC05522.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I watched him for ten minutes. Not once did he touch his DSLR.

You's guys just don't get the current technology. He's using the cell phone to control the DSLR,with which he's taking a clandestine photograph of the duck-poop that surrounds that pond.

Cmon folks - this is a new day!

-Ray

There are two parts to the "death of photography concept." The first is nonsense. The cellphone has simply put "free" photography in the hands of just about everyone. But more people taking more snapshots does not equal the death of photography. People who are actually interested in photography will take good photos and will find others to share them with.

The second, as the Chicago Sun Times cover demonstrates, is a legitimate concern. If the people controlling the purse strings - from the news, to personal photography such as weddings - don't value good photography, more and more professional photographers will go out of business. So it's not so much the sheer volume of artistically mediocre, personal photography- it's the resulting lowering of the standards of the bean counters if they come to accept that level of photography as "good enough."

I often find it easier to get a close up with the cellphone than with a "real" camera. And the cats don't seem to notice it, so I often use it to take photos of them. And for quick shots to post to Facebook. And when, horrors! I left everything else behind.

If you go in the off-season (like I did two weeks ago) it´s not that bad.

Being a very frequent visitor of museums, I just don´t get why anybody would want to take a picture of a painting. If you want to remember the painting, just buy the book or catalog at the museum's gift store. Generally, the photo will be of much better quality.

Cheers,

Antonio

Amen!

I could almost think some of those commenting were reading a different article from the one I linked to:)

Regarding Paris,look on the bright side: every visitor in the scrum round the ML is one visitor less getting in your way in the rest of the museum. You're not missing much either. The ML is like one of those Flickr pictures that have 100,000 views and 10,000 comments and leave you wondering what it is you're not seeing (IMHO of course).

I think Olmos sums it up pretty well in the closing paragraph:

In any case, established photographers don't necessarily have to worry about the democratisation of their medium. "I'll survive in this profession because I have skills," says Olmos. "I'm a storyteller in images; my compositions are better than most people's. Just because you've got a microprocessor in your computer doesn't make you a writer. And just because you've got an Instagram app on your phone you aren't a great photographer."

Great photographers will continue to make great images, there will just be a lot more of them to compete against.

I could almost think some of those commenting were reading a different article from the one I linked to:)

Yes, and no. In my case I felt compelled to add my tuppence ha'penny's worth, because theres a lot of that around in those (usually professionals trying to protect their turf) who reckon "real" photography is dying or dead.

Regarding Paris,look on the bright side: every visitor in the scrum round the ML is one visitor less getting in your way in the rest of the museum. You're not missing much either. The ML is like one of those Flickr pictures that have 100,000 views and 10,000 comments and leave you wondering what it is you're not seeing (IMHO of course).

I'm just a peasant. I have never particularly wanted to see the ML at all.

Back