The Empire Strikes Back - Canon Announces Rebel T4i/650D and 40mm Pancake Lens

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    Executive vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies & Communications Group, Canon U.S.A
    Yuichi Ishizuka sums up the new camera announcement with the following statement:

What he's really trying to say is "Mirrorless CSCs are beginning to eat our lunch. The Rebel T4i is our response".

20120608_thumbL_rebelt4i_frontbody.
    The Rebel T4i introduces several features geared towards improving the live view and video performance, both of which are currently strengths of mirrorless CSCs. A new Hybrid AF system which makes use of both contrast detection autofocus (CDAF) and phase detection autofocus (PDAF) in order to assure fast autofocus which is both accurate (advantage CDAF) and capable of tracking well (advantage PDAF). The Nikon 1 System also implements a combined CDAF/PDAF system although in a very different manner. Whereas the Nikon switches between CDAF and PDAF depending on the light level, the new Canon uses CDAF to fine tune PDAF results. It remains to be seen how well the Canon system will work in practice.

Another key feature introduced with the Canon T4i is a touchscreen interface that allows touch activated autofocus for both still photos and video in Live View, similar to some of the latest Panasonic and Olympus Micro Four Thirds cameras. Touch shutter release functionality can also be enabled.

Crucially, the T4i is Canon's first DSLR to feature continuous autofocus during video recording. The camera also features a built in stereo microphone, and two new STM lenses are being introduced which promise silent autofocus, the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM and EF 40mm f/2.8 STM. The former is a versatile zoom for both still and video use on Canon APS-C cameras, while the latter is a pancake lens, offering the most compact form factor seen to date in a Canon DSLR.
    20120608_thumbL_ef40lens_3q. The new Canon T4i offers an interesting glimpse into technology that may find it's way into a future mirrorless Canon CSC. At the same time, Canon's efforts to introduce this functionality into their DSLR line and the introduction of the new pancake lens are signs that a Canon mirrorless CSC may be further off than we thought. For now, the Canon Empire will continue to use its fleet of small black DSLRs to strike back against the mirrorless Rebellion.

Full coverage of the latest Canon announcements at 1001 Noisy Cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  2. stratokaster

stratokaster SC Top Veteran

Dec 27, 2010
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I think it means that the future Canon mirrorless camera will have sensor-based PDAF. If this is so and they also use more or less reasonable sensor size, it might be a revolution among mirrorless cameras.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    I've just got Star Wars on the mind, but I'm imagining some Canon chief holding a prototype of the Canon mirrorless CSC and saying something akin to "Now, Lord Vader will provide us with the location of the Rebel fortress by the time this station is operational. We will then crush the Rebellion with one swift stroke" :tongue:.

• Like Like x 2
  4. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Amin, I hate to tell you this, but I think you ARE the Rebel fortress, with your three sites. :)

• Like Like x 5
  5. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    You rebel scum!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. KVG

KVG SC Regular

May 24, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Kelly
    Good for them, but my 20/1.7 will still be cooler

7. flash

flash SC Veteran

May 6, 2011
    Gordon
    Is it just me, or is it interesting that Canon have released a lens that's within half a stop of the Panny 20mm (FOV and DOF on FF), except it's three years late?
    Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  8. KVG

KVG SC Regular

May 24, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Kelly
    The 40mm FOV is my favorite by far, I just hope one day Panny will bring out a version II

9. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    I like my 28mm 1.8 but I have to say that little pancake is cute :D It would look like.. a body cap on a MK5+ camera.

10. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    True. I love my FA43 on the Pentax, but I feel silly using it if I am also not using the little hood that comes with it. Body cap, yes.

11. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    My 28mm isn't that small, but not huge either and yes it is hooded when I go out ..mostly I use the hoods so when I am carrying the camera on my shoulder strap if it bumps something it's the hood not the lens. Sometimes I end up braceleting my hoods though when I am doing something close.

12. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    I'd like to play with a 5Dmk3 + 40mm f2.8 mounted. That must pretty cool for street photography in low light. I hope Nikon release something similar.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    If I were a Canon 5D owner, I'd snap up that lens immediately. Still a fair bit bigger than the OM-D and 20 though:

7169575455_94998b6f44_o.

7354787478_804c113094_o.

• Like Like x 4
  14. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    What site gives you those visual comparisons? Is that a camera-size like site, or just a jpg that someone did?

15. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    • Like Like x 2
  16. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia SC Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If the hybrid AF were on the level of current mirrorless cameras this camera would have been very interesting- they basically address the mirror less segment by expanding their SLR, rather than developing a new system from scratch. After all, a D Rebel isn't that much bigger than a NEX if you have comparable lenses attached to both (say the kit zooms). But reading between the lines it seems the on-phase detection AF sensor isn't nearly as robust as the standard phase detection AF.

On a side note, why must they continue to put the exposure compensation button in an awkward location? (have to stretch thumb to reach it)

I've always liked Canon DSLR IQ, Canon was the first to use these large CMOS sensors and my first D30 (not 30D) was a revelation. The interesting thing is that I've owned a couple of DRebel generations since then that have better high ISO performance and greater resolution, but I have a lot of D30 images that just strike me in ways later pictures don't. Totally subjective observation that may be due to any number of other factors, but I've always wondered about that.

17. Burkey

Burkey SC Top Veteran

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    Although I am a bit of a compact camera person, (Fuji X10 and X100), I do own a 5D original and did end up pre-ordering the 40mm pancake for it. The IQ from the 5D is pretty incredible.
    . . . David

18. matthewm

matthewm SC Regular

Jun 23, 2011
    Sumter/Charleston, SC
    Matthew Morse
    I actually pre-ordered this lens. It's the first time I've ever pre-ordered any photography-related item. I don't pre-order cameras and lenses because I like to see real-world examples (I hate MTF charts and graphs and brick wall photos). But I still have my 5Dc as a backup to my 5D2. It sits in the bag most of the time. I ditched the battery grip for it and bought the 40mm as a small(er) walk-around kit. It's amazing. Combined with my GRD3 or a 35mm point-and-shoot, I have all I need for a full day of shooting. It's a great little lens for the money. I'd have been happy if I paid $299 for it. At $199, it's an excellent companion.

Here are some samples from my first outing with it:
    7457839128_c710e93b6b_z. 7457838940_13ae927f90_z.
    7457838732_b29485ef97_z. 7457838484_8c06781c1b_z.

And one of my pug. Because, well, my 5Dc now sort of looks like a pug with that flat nose. Besides, everyone loves a good pug picture. How could you not? :)
    7480664732_0ea15f4f58_c.

• Like Like x 3
  19. matthewm

matthewm SC Regular

Jun 23, 2011
    Sumter/Charleston, SC
    Matthew Morse
    One more. I'm no pixel-peeper, but I did take a peak at 100% just to see and this is what it looks like. Sharp enough for me...

7457836996_9984a05e1c_z.
    7457836184_4ca285d068_z.

• Like Like x 3