The Fuji X70 thread: Post em here

Discussion in 'Other >= 1" Sensor Cameras' started by Spode, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Spode

Spode SC Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    Singapore
    Folks, though we be few, let's post some recent pics with the X70 here.

A reflected selfie to start. Note there is no fall here (1 degree north of the equator). I saw this house window and was attracted to it due to the curious plethora of vegetation that framed it.

DSCF4091-Edit.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Spode

Spode SC Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    Singapore
    Not just a street shooter. Can be used for other purposes.

DSCF3846-Edit.

• Like Like x 11
  3. rayvonn

rayvonn SC Top Veteran

Jan 19, 2015
    There's a guy at my work who goes out at lunchtime with his X70, lens hood and strap with classic chrome set up ready to go. It really does look the part that X70.

4. Spode

Spode SC Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    Singapore
    At the feet of the Master.

DSCF4151.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Spode

Spode SC Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    Singapore
    2 more from Bangkok.
    DSCF4106-Edit. DSCF4170.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Spode

Spode SC Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    Singapore
    2 more night shots from Gardens by the Bay. There was a light and sound show on. Not bad for handheld shots.

DSCF4273. DSCF4274.

• Like Like x 8
  7. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    Finally got to use the X70. First, liquid nitrogen ice cream:
    ICLN2a-L.

ICLN2b-L.
    A walk on the Chessie nature trail, which is an old railroad bed;

chessie13-L.
    chessie11-L.

• Like Like x 9
  8. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Nice, friendly crew in the chemistry department, Steve. So, are you glad you went with the X70 instead of, say, one of the X100's?

I have the Ricoh GR and used to have an X100T. I'd seriously consider whatever Fuji replaces the X70 with if it has the 24mp sensor - making the crop modes even better.

9. drd1135

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    I have the XT20 and 27 so the X100S/T/F wouldn't really bring much to the table. The X70 is smaller and, at least for now, is an alternative to buying an 18 for the XT20. I enjoy shooting with the X70 and the tilting screen gives me the "waist" shooting position I so enjoy. This body with the 24 MP sensor would be really nice but I wonder what it would cost.

As for the ice cream, it was part of the "last day of classes" tradition of the science departments called CookieFest. A large helping of unhealthy sugary treats are provided in the Great Hall of the Science Center and the students descend like locusts.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    All I can offer is that the X100F with the 24mp sensor costs the same as the other X100's cost when they came out. So hope springs eternal that any potential X80(?) will list at the same price as the X70.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. davidzvi

davidzvi SC Veteran

Apr 18, 2014
    David
    One can always dream.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  12. drd1135

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    fungus-L.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. davidzvi

davidzvi SC Veteran

Apr 18, 2014
    David
    Lots of fun even just around the house. _DSF5261. _DSF5264.

• Like Like x 3
  14. drd1135

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    A small wild tree that has attracted decorations. Either that or a radical new kind of fungus.
    xmas%20treect-L.

• Like Like x 4
  15. MiguelATF

MiguelATF SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    I discovered a very lightly used X70 at a price that was not only more than reasonable but too good to pass up --- which by the way is a useful rationalization for buying another camera that I may not really *need* --- but still have been curious about for awhile. Took it out shooting a little today, to try to figure out one or two weird Fujifilm quirks (weird to me, anyway, coming from Lumix's and Olympii and Ricoh's) -

But here are the results. First, a shop window - this is an almost SOOC jpeg, processed in camera with Fuji's "Chrome" film simulation - and very very lightly tweaked (hardly at all) in LR 5

Shop Window.

Two more views of the same window - the first shot RAW and then processed with a VSCO Portra simulation preset -

Tattoo face in window.

The last also shot RAW and processed with a cool contrasty black & white preset from X-El which mimics Fortepan 100, a long-since discontinued relatively fine-grained and contrasty black & white negative film from the ancient analog ages - it has a bit of an Acros-like feeling -

Tattooed Mannequin.

So far, so good. It's not a bad little camera. And I have to say I am honestly a little shocked at the quality and tones of the in-camera JPEG Chrome film simulation. I've read glowing reports from Fujiophiles for years of how great or cool or whatever Fujifilm's in-camera JPEG simulations have been, but seeing is actually believing....and seeing this particular image is almost making a partial believer out of me ; - )

• Like Like x 8
  16. MiguelATF

Aug 27, 2013
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Hmmm....all these people who for so long have been talking about Fuji cameras' abilities to render colors...they may actually have a point.

Dumpster face.

• Like Like x 5
  17. MiguelATF

Aug 27, 2013
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    A few more...walking on a road in southern Oregon from my scooter mechanic's remote rural workshop to the local town for coffee -
    First an address sign for a house whose inhabitants obviously love old hot rods -

Automobile address sign.

Then some of the rusting machinery which often seems to grace the front yards of some rural residences -

Rusted rural machinery.

A road sign warning me to beware of cattle -

Cattle Xing.

And finally, once I got to town, a rather strange mannequin in the shop-window of a local thrift store -

Psychedelic shop window Head.

I know better photographic brains than I have done detailed pixel-peeping comparisons of the x70 with both the GR and the Coolpix A and most of them have concluded that the Fuji can't hold a candle to either of the other established heavyweights in the fixed-lens/compact/APS-C sweepstakes - but to my untutored eye, it's producing quality results so far.

And some quirky ones too which, with a certain type of processing, remind me of some of those contrasty small-sensor monochrome images that Daido Moriyama produced generations ago with his compact Ricoh in and around Tokyo. I don't mean to compare my images to his - but simply to point out that this camera, like the GR and the Coolpix - and like the earlier generations of compact Ricoh's not to mention the cool earlier Lumix LX models - is capable of giving me images which don't suffer from that over-processed digital look that Mike Johnston eloquently rants about on occasion. Here's my only higher contrast monochrome attempt to date -

Doppelgänger.

So far, this camera looks like it may be earning its spot as a 'regular' ;)

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. NoSeconds

NoSeconds SC Veteran

Jan 1, 2017
    Troy
    I dunno who any of those people you mentioned are but you're certainly making a good case for the X70 so far! :2thumbs:

That shot of the cattle crossing is impressive if it's a SOOC JPEG...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    I had not really given this camera much thought as I am quite happy with the coolpix a.
    But these images are making me interested. Darn it, that last thing I need, another camera...sound familiar anyone?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. MiguelATF

Aug 27, 2013
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Believe it or not, the Cattle XING one is close to a SOOC aka straight-out-of-camera JPEG - in this case it was a JPEG using one of the camera's better (in my opinion, so far) internal film simulation presets - called "Chrome" - which gives tonal qualities similar to certain classic slide films, and has been a mainstay, apparently, of a lot of other Fuji shooters on more advanced x-cameras, including the XT1 & 2 and the XPro 1 and 2. It's an immensely satisfying internal camera jpeg preset - and only received minor tweaking in LR5. Some of the other shots I posted here were processed starting from RAW files (converted from .raf to .dng by the Mac version of Irident's X-Transformer, and subsequently processed in Lightroom) - but the camera is definitely more than capable of producing SOOC keepers....which is rather amazing (to me) in and of itself.

• Like Like x 2