Leica The Leica look - what makes it, what is it?

This is starting to feel a bit like those discussions between audiophiles for vs those who oppose blind testing...

Hard to tell from viewing on a computer monitor (especially my very poor monitor at my office) but I would have to say no to all three. I do not see the 3D quality or the critical sharpness. Again, it may be a result of downsizing for the web or the monitor. Bokeh is nice, though and the shots are terrific.

Cheers,

Antonio

Are we talking Leica lens or camera and/or film? How do you separate them? Does a Leica lens on a M43 camera have the possibility of a Leica look? Does a Zeiss lens on an M7 with Tri-X have the possibility of the Leica look? Is there a "Leica look" preset in Lightroom? Can I wear Leica look glasses and get the Leica look?

Are we talking Leica lens or camera and/or film? How do you separate them? Does a Leica lens on a M43 camera have the possibility of a Leica look? Does a Zeiss lens on an M7 with Tri-X have the possibility of the Leica look? Is there a "Leica look" preset in Lightroom? Can I wear Leica look glasses and get the Leica look?
That's exactly along the lines I'm thinking. Leica lenses on film Leicas or digital Leica cameras, some of which with sensors from Kodak, others with sensors from Sony, some without AA filter, others with, FF, 1.3 crop factor, aps-c size. Some D-Lux5 owners would swear that their Leica produces files which are clearly distinguishable from those produced with the technically identical Panasonic LX5 etc. I don't believe in the Leica look. All I know is that the Leica lenses are outstanding, as are ZMs and some CVs and that I clearly prefer the files produced with sensors without AA filter, as we have it in the M8, M9, Ricoh GXR-M, Sigmas DP1/2, XPro-1. The examples I posted are: Nr1 GXR with C Elmar, Nr 2: NEX7 with apo Summicron, Nr3: GXR with ZM Sonnar. The first is sharp and shows a lot of skin details, but the C Elmar has a lower contrast rendering, the second is f2.0 with thin dof, but the ice cream scone I focused on is tack sharp, the last with the ZM is slightly out of focus. The unique and beautiful transition of the apo Summicron from the in focus to the out of focus area in Nr 2 is a Leica signature, but on a Sony sensor. Leica look? Sometimes I have the impression that contrasty files are confused with a so called "3D rendering".

Here's the Leica look

leica_look.jpg

but of course there is a "Leica look" ........ with Leica bodies and lens - more so with film in times gone by but also with digital ......... you do not get it in every image/print ...... no reason why you should ..... but when the "kit" is in expert hands it certainly can come through regularly - less so with the less experienced or concerned

Antonio's shots certainly bring it out

But it is really not worth debating or getting concerned about for more than a few postings ......... instead go over to the RF forum and look through their comments and images

The best thing about Leica, and why I bought the M8 and then the M9- the cameras are compatible with 80 years of lenses and supports their native focus coupling interface. I'm sure they used that term in the 1930s.

Back