1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The Lesser Photographer

Discussion in 'Philosophy of Photography' started by flysurfer, Oct 20, 2011.

1. flysurfer

flysurfer SC Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2011
    • Like Like x 5
  2. adanac

adanac SC Veteran

Sep 30, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    I've taken the liberty of copying adanac's post from over on the https://www.photographerslounge.org...35-24-70-70-200-replace-nex-7-fuji-x200-4564/ thread where flysurfer first brought up this blog and manifesto.

adanac, as I said over there - your response hit home so much both for me and for this Lesser Photographer manifesto.

• Like Like x 3
  3. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    As I said, I read the manifesto last night and it certainly hit home for me. I've passed it along to my daughter and will send it to a non forum member pal, too.

The blog is interesting and the writer of which actually wrote to me to find out how I'd heard about it, etc. Very nice guy and rather refreshing to have some interaction with a blogger who is interested in their readers.

adanac, I appreciate your follow up and look forward to seeing how things evolve for you - and others.

Thank you again, flysurfer.:drinks:

• Like Like x 2
  4. adanac

adanac SC Veteran

Sep 30, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    I'd like to thank flysurfer for the Manifesto link, again, as I've had a really enjoyable time diving into some of the links presented by the writer elsewhere and find the topic infinitely more interesting than how many megapixels of what pin-size fit on a chip of X dimensions.

• Like Like x 2
  5. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    ...and I'd also like to thank flysurfer for the link. Read the manifesto last night and it was eye-opening....

Also enjoying the blog. It's got some great segues and links.

Here's a favourite - Although a cartoonist, Hugh MacLeod's "Ignore Everyone" observations are just as relevant for us photogs...
    Stuff like tis is simply priceless:
    Again thanks flysurfer....:bravo-009:

• Like Like x 2
  6. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I've been frequenting The Lesser Photographer, thanks to you flysurfer, and found the latest article to be very thought provoking: "I Just Want to Capture Images". I think you'll like it...and just so you know, no one camera is held up as The camera. Here is the direct link to the article at pdn online (Photo District News) called Compact Cameras: Keep It Discreet by Dan Havlik.

7. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    Interesting article BB.

• Like Like x 1
  8. flysurfer

flysurfer SC Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2011
    I read the article a few days ago, it's complementing similar texts like these:

15 Digital Point-and-Shoot Cameras Used By Pro Photographers ‹ Photography business insights & tips – photo sales & marketing discussion | PhotoShelter blog
    Rob Galbraith DPI: Alex Majoli points and shoots
    ZORIAH - A PHOTOJOURNALIST AND WAR PHOTOGRAPHER'S BLOG: Photojournalism With a Point and Shoot Camera - Becoming a Photojournalist With Budget Camera Equipment

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    I enjoyed it too. And aside from the Leica, which is just too expensive and occasionally unreliable to take into the situations the one guy was using it in, I like the choices of cameras those guys were using. Some of them really ought to try an X100 and/or a Ricoh (GXR or GRD) if they want even better purpose built cameras for what they're doing with them. Regardless, their philosophy of gear is very similar to mine, but those guys put themselves at risk in ways I'd never get close to.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  10. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thanks so much for these links, flysurfer - I'll be reading them for sure.

11. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    Fascinating Article and Manifesto.
    For year my only film camera was my Hexar AF and I thrived.
    I got into digital, flloundered about for a bit thne got my GR Digital and thrived again.
    It died, I bought several DSLR's and high end compacts, I did nice work but the gear and the quest for bigger better and faster blinded me.
    I have been yearning for the "freedom of constraint", the elegance of simplicity again.
    My GRD is being fixed or replaced, but lately most of my work out of the house has been with the simplest of gear; my phone cameras.
    And I feel free again...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Susan Sande

Susan Sande SC Veteran

Aug 3, 2011
    Upper left USA
    Wasn't sure where to post this. My love is waffling. I love my G12, the small size, the ease of use. I took both it and my 60D on my 10 day trip a month ago. My 60D never left its hiding place in my rental car. I took shots with my G12 and even though my brain was saying it would be a better shot with the 60D, I never walked back to the car to get it. I came home with shots that needed a wider lens here, better DOF there all because I wanted to take the shots with my compact.

Last night I harvested the last 3 dozen Criterion apples off our tree before we get a hard frost. The camera closest to me was the 60D (heck, it was too far to walk to the garage to retrieve the G12 out of my car). I took dozens of pictures of those apples, with a smile on my face the entire time. And realized the artist in me (or whats left of it) loves the 60D more than the G12. I will keep my G12 but I want to spend more quality time with my 60D.

• Like Like x 2
  13. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Very interesting Susan.Can I plumb a little further as to why? I mean is it the limitations of the small sensor or lens of the G? What is it about the 60D that couldn't be satisfied by something with a wider choice in focal length or maybe even the bigger sensor of a NEX or mu43?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    I completely understand, despite my XZ-1 being far more capable in terms of specs I much would prefer using my GRD or my E-PL2 with a fixed focal length lens.
    They fit my hand and mind and eye. On both cameras the in-camera B&W jpegs are superb...

• Like Like x 1
  15. iau

iau SC Rookie

Sep 11, 2010
    I'm thorn between my Nikon DSLR, my mirrorless and P&S... I went from Nikon D70->D300 (to use MF glass)->D7000 (to reduce size) and have been very happy with my Nikons. However, I still think they are too big for daily walk-around shooting. So I bought a GF1 which I loved, but it really never could replace my DSLR. At the same time I have also been using P&S. With my recent aquistion of a GF3 the mirrorless has more or less replaced my need for a P&S (except for special occasions when I want it to be pocketable).

The Nikon DSLR continiues to live it's special life as my "real camera". I'm only an enthusast - not a pro - and use it mostly for daily captures. I used it a lot on a vacation recently, and only brought out the X100 for night shots. The P&S I brought (LX5) was only used a couple of times. I prefer the feel and handling of my D7000 over my smaller cameras and it is not too heavy (or too big), but the lenses are. My problem now is deciding where I want to go regarding the mirrorless cameras. M43 or Sony NEX (more curious about the NEX-5n than the NEX-7)? Or perhaps the X200 (or whatever the Fuji interchangeable lens system will be called)? I love the X100 for its IQ and the fact that it is so quiet, but fixed focal lenght have its limits and it has slower AF. I often regret not bringing my DSLR if I leave it at home, but if I bring it I rarely use it (unless travelling). I guess I will be thorn between DSLR and various mirrorless systems for a few more years.

Now I will read the article...

• Like Like x 1
  16. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    iau, next time you're back please stop by the Welcomes and Introductions forum for a quick hello, in the meantime - welcome! I hope you enjoy the manifesto, especially.

17. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Interesting to contrast this thread with David's thread on the Nex (bar of soap....). Very good shooters expressing very different points of view. I guess there's room for all approaches and all levels of IQ. I'm glad I'm of the "lesser" bent. More affordable, at least if I didn't insist on trying every piece of "lesser" equipment to come down the pike. :biggrin:

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  18. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Just to put in my two cents...

I am very pleased with the results I am obtaining from my m4/3 gear. However, on the rare occasions I use my Canon 50D, the files always bring a smile to my face. I just cannot bring myself to carry it around. Plus, I like the inconspicuousness of the m4/3 gear, especially the GF3 with a pancake. it's nearly invisible.

Cheers,

Antonio

• Like Like x 3