Critique Wanted The lonely beer drinker

I feel rather sad for this lonely beer drinker. He looks as though he's "middle aged" if a bit leaning towards the older part of middle aged...and my guess is that the barmaid. is a younger woman, though truth be told it's a bit difficult to tell by just looking at her hair. I am wondering if he is looking at a reflection in the darkened window, rather than gazing at the barmaid. I think that your image has created a story...and for me, the story is a sad and lonely one which I believe is what you were after. I like the warmth of the colors in the interior against the dark rectangular view we have with you from the outside looking in, Christian.

Amazing what the G series can do in low light...

When I looked at the photograph at 100% enlargement on my screen after copying it from the camera, my first reaction was not so positive. But it was possible to get a very acceptable technical quality in Lightroom. My second thought was that I simply could not do ISO 3200 in color when I shot film. We are already so spoiled by the pictures taken with the Nikon D700, the Canon 5D or any other comparable DSLR, that we completely lost any reasonable measure.

great shot pictor: if it was me I would have left out the person on the right, which to me would have made it even more
lonely. Hey weve all have one or two or three at that one time in our life when we needed to just be alone, to gather, regroup
or just get away from the wife, check that, our problems....haha.....

I also love the fact he is staring at who knows what, in deep though about something.
thanks for sharing...Cheers all...Pete

Many thanks for your comments! BB, I wished I could put into words what I feel about photographs just half as well.

Pete, I did a second version. How do you like this?

20101102_1722421.jpg

I am with Russ, keep the barmaid in the picture...plus that extra expanse of all those empty glasses add to the feeling, as well.

Thank you Christian - now which version do you prefer?

I'm bucking the trend and voting for the version without the barmaid. I think the emotion you are trying to get across is better portrayed with the drinker completely alone, dreaming of having a gorgeous barmaid instead of the one serving him.

Vote for with barmaid, but perhaps with a little less of the black frame at the top and bottom. Displaying it in a wider format like that might increase the sense of seperation between the two characters in the image.

Back