Fuji The Lord works in VERY mysterious ways....

Sometimes time does that... Let's see what reality brings. I know it's a big investment and one has to be absolutely sure about whether or not one really likes the camera. Please keep us posted and be sure to really give it a serious go round, Steve.

Well, now I've seen it all...

I only wish that my parent had had the foresight to set up a camera slush fund for me when I was born :)

Looking forward to seeing some fotos.
Heh heh heh. If only! Actually, my parents were very generous with our kid's college fund while they were around, so I guess that helped make my slush fund more doable. I've always had a slush fund for SOMETHING so I could put money aside for it and not have to worry about hurting our general finances. Used to do it with bikes. Did it a couple of years ago when my wife and I were saving for a vacation of a lifetime. Its a handy tool. It also saves her from knowing the details that might bother her. She knows I used to be into bikes and now I'm into cameras and I've never come close to putting us at any risk financially. She doesn't want to know the details and I'm ok with that too. I don't know what she spends on some stuff either. It works well!

For this I had to dip into the general fund for the last few hundred dollars - good thing they didn't have the 60mm in stock! But if I keep it all, I'll sell some stuff to get back to even...

-Ray

So.. there *is* a diopter of sorts? I'm going to have to go hands on with one of these things, I can see. Ray, congratulations :)

I think its a neutral lens. If you want a corrected lens, you have to hunt one down and buy it. I guess keeping my glasses on while I shoot eliminates the need for that. You can't adjust anything on the camera, but if you wear progressive lenses, you can "adjust" the angle of your head so you're looking through the right part of the lens... It works well enough for me.

-Ray

So, you know the rest. I dug out the plastic. I had almost enough in my camera slush fund to cover it and put the last few hundred on plastic. And I walked out of 17th St. Photo with an X-Pro 1.

I cancelled my EM5 pre-order as soon as I got back to my place.

-Ray

Now that takes impulse buying to a whole new level! :eek:

I am now very excited and no longer jealous, just received shipping confirmation on my two bodies as well as the 18 and 35, 60 should be in at the end of the month, some how I think this has more to do with a large container ship's arrival than any sort of spiritual happenings, Amazon has come through so I will be canceling my B&H and Sammy's orders tomorrow

I am now very excited and no longer jealous, just received shipping confirmation on my two bodies as well as the 18 and 35, 60 should be in at the end of the month, some how I think this has more to do with a large container ship's arrival than any sort of spiritual happenings, Amazon has come through so I will be canceling my B&H and Sammy's orders tomorrow

Looking forward to your photos with the XP1!

Now that takes impulse buying to a whole new level! :eek:

It wasn't total impulse - both cameras had been bouncing around in my head (and gut) for quite a while. It was one of those things where my head was pulling me one way and my gut was pulling the other. And I kind of figured the "head" would win unless the gut camera got in my face first and made a really strong impression. Which it, uhhh, DID! I find that in these head/heart conundrums, the heart always wins and is usually right. I picked where to go to college that way too, many years ago. After settling on the "head" choice, it just never felt right in my gut, so I switched to the "heart" choice at the last moment before deposit checks were due. Drove my parents a bit crazy, but it was definitely the right call - I got to know a lot of people from the other school and I was way better off where I ended up. Always have to trust your gut in the end - you have to work through the logic so the gut can make an informed decision, but it's still a gut call ultimately. Unless the "heart" call makes NO sense, like buying a sports car instead of a mini-van for a family of four! THEN, I go with my head. But cameras are a much more personal indulgence than that to begin with.

A whole new level of impulse buying would have been buying a camera I really did NOT want, just on the whim of the moment. Like if I somehow walked out of there with a Nikon DSLR or something. I pretty much never do that kind of thing, and never on anything big.

-Ray

Wow, two bodies! Enjoy 'em Bob. I get the impulse - I've carried two m43 bodies before to avoid massive lens changing. But one of them was always a small and/or cheap one. I couldn't see doing it with the X-Pro - even one was a stretch. Then again, in the day or so of shooting I've done with the X-Pro now, I'm sticking the 35 on there out of a sense of obligation - I'm mainly living with the 18, as I pretty much knew would happen. I'll check out the 35 if I go out in the dark tonight, but I just see a lot better with the 18 and I suspect it will make an almost permanent home on the camera and the 35 will mostly hang out in the bag.

-Ray

Other than with P&S cameras I have always used two bodies with different lenses, one wide one, one short telephoto, I am really looking forward to the 14,(21 equivalent) when it comes out, my all time favorite street shoot setup was my Contax G2 with the 21 on one body and the 90 on the other.

Back