Fuji The Lord works in VERY mysterious ways....

Luke, I've watched (suffered through) the Zach Arias vids and it's pretty obvious the whole things are plain Fuji commercials. There's no critical thinking and he's just very carefully trying not to bite the hand that feed him, so I think he just took the safest (and dumbest) comparison he could find (with the cheap DSLRs). I wouldn't take seriously anything he said in these videos.

You jumped at the new iPad, which leaves me vaguely cold. Its all what we can afford and what gets us off...

-Ray

If I had the iPad 2, no way I would have gotten the new one. This is m,y first iPad, and it leaves me a little cold too, but the kids loooove it.

7043442731_03a95a3db2_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for that link stanleyk. That Zack Arias interview is pretty funny. How in the world can he compare the X-Pro 1 and entry-level DSLRs.

I am 100% with you on this. The photos on his blog with the XP1 (and other cameras as well) are all excellent. But the video promotion ... urgh. Should have just left it at the blog.

Thanks for that link stanleyk. That Zack Arias interview is pretty funny. How in the world can he compare the X-Pro 1 and entry-level DSLRs. I think his income is clouding his judgment if he thinks he should be comparing a camera that is north of $2,000 with one lens with cameras that are under $1,000 with 2 lenses. I have no doubt that FOR ME, if I were to spend that kind of money I would likely prefer the FUJI, but I think the majority of camera buyers who are asking advice on what camera to buy are better served by modern DSLR of any brand.

It seems like some people don't understand why there are different tools for the job and they are always trying to force their own perspective on others. People need to ask a few questions of themselves and what they expect the camera to be able to do for what they want to shoot before making these purchases.

I have no doubt that Ray made the right choice for him, but for this guy to suggest that people just getting into photography should buy an X-Pro 1.......well, I hope they listen. Because a year from now the used market will be FLOODED with them and I can take my pick and name my price.

Yep. Nailed it.

Actually Kristen, it was the first one I actually saw. And the one part I'm not at ALL sure of now is whether I'd be able to sell it off without taking a pretty big hit. When I finally SAW one, after a couple of days of asking around, I was envisioning another X100 type rollout with just a few units trickling in, high deman, limited supply, etc. And anyone lucky enough to get one quickly would be able to sell it quickly as well. And, at least unconsiously, that was probably part of my calculation. And, of course, by end of the day after I bought mine, they were EVERYWHERE, with numerous stores having plenty of stock after filling pre-orders.

The stock will fluctuate Ray so play with the kit, if you aren't happy, sell it off sooner than later. You might take a little hit however with each of their cameras, the stores got them, then they were empty in a couple days and people had to wait a month or two for more. Just play that arc if you decide to sell. Never regret, consider the small depreciation a rental fee that's all.

I actually didn't know it would happen. I knew that if one smacked me in the face it would probably happen, but figured it the EM5 showed up before supplies of the X-Pro caught up with demand, that I wouldn't have looked at the X-Pro 1 again. But, it DID rise up and smack me in the face. And so it happened. I really wasn't expecting it too....

-Ray

Congrats Ray on the new kit. Look forward to your images and experiences with the new camera!

Yes, I am with Kristen, that the depreciation is basically a rental fee, and a very reasonable one at that. Anyway you do not sound like you are going to sell. Keep enjoying.

No, the way this thing handles low light is beyond any camera I've used. The X100 is really good. The GXR is almost as good as the X100, but not quite. But this is notably better than either. I was out with it again tonight for awhile and I'm just amazed at how easy it is to shoot with in REALLY low light and get very good results. And its equally good in easier conditions, but of course the difference between it and other cameras isn't as notable in good light. But its a blast to shoot with regardless. I'll likely sell the X100. I'm not sure about the GXR yet - I'll have to see how much I use it. Its ability to easily toggle between snap and auto focus is really incredibly useful, but OTOH the detail and ability to pull up shadows has already saved my bacon a couple of times on the X-Pro on shots that would have been real problems with the GXR. So, time will tell. But I'm happier with it than I thought I'd be at this point. Then again, it still has that new camera smell, so I could feel differently in a few months. We'll see.

-Ray

Ray, how's the AF lock in low light? The early reports I heard was it was poor, and that MF was poor. But it seems you are getting along with it fine. Can you comment on the AF in low light, how good is it, and how are you working it?

No, the way this thing handles low light is beyond any camera I've used. The X100 is really good. The GXR is almost as good as the X100, but not quite. But this is notably better than either. I was out with it again tonight for awhile and I'm just amazed at how easy it is to shoot with in REALLY low light and get very good results. And its equally good in easier conditions, but of course the difference between it and other cameras isn't as notable in good light. But its a blast to shoot with regardless. I'll likely sell the X100. I'm not sure about the GXR yet - I'll have to see how much I use it. Its ability to easily toggle between snap and auto focus is really incredibly useful, but OTOH the detail and ability to pull up shadows has already saved my bacon a couple of times on the X-Pro on shots that would have been real problems with the GXR. So, time will tell. But I'm happier with it than I thought I'd be at this point. Then again, it still has that new camera smell, so I could feel differently in a few months. We'll see.

-Ray

:sad010:
Took delivery of my new xpro1 last night. Put the battery in and fired it up and took a couple of quick test shots just to make sure it was working. Took the battery out, put it in the charger for a couple of hours while watching a movie. Re-inserted the battery and a memory card, now the camera is completely dead. Tried to re-insert the battery and memory card several times, but no luck. Hoping I can get a replacement quickly as I don't want to send it back for repairs.
I hope this isn't going to be a common problem. Just venting as I'm a little peeved!!:mad:

Took delivery of my new xpro1 last night. Put the battery in and fired it up and took a couple of quick test shots just to make sure it was working. Took the battery out, put it in the charger for a couple of hours while watching a movie. Re-inserted the battery and a memory card, now the camera is completely dead. Tried to re-insert the battery and memory card several times, but no luck. Hoping I can get a replacement quickly as I don't want to send it back for repairs.
I hope this isn't going to be a common problem. Just venting as I'm a little peeved!!:mad:

Yikes. :(:mad:

I hope you won't find that insulting, but you never know: are you sure you've inserted the battery the right way? I've read of a couple users who thought their X-pro1 was dead because the battery can be inserted both ways.

It sounds to me like the XP1 is in some ways like the Sigma DP cameras... at times very frustrating to use, but capable of amazing IQ when it all clicks.

Back