1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

the May Serious Compacts Challenge

Discussion in 'Image Quest' started by Luke, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    As a number of you know (and many participated) in January there was a group of people who took up the mantle of taking a photo every day with the same camera and the same lens. It was a long, tough slog, but a bunch of people made it through alive. There was enough grumbling that I wouldn't want to undertake a challenge like that again.

But there is still a lot of fun to be had by sharing a common goal and working towards it. I'm thinking of something along the lines of 31 "prompts" that need to be checked off before the month is through. One needn't feel pressured to do one on each day and there will be no limit on your gear. This should be all fun an no work. You can go out on a photowalk and take out 7 prompts right away and then coast..... but don't coast for too long and let them build up. Then you'll be overwhelmed and it will be work. Or just do one every day.....it'll be good practice to think about photography every day.

For our Single In January challenge, we had a little over 30 participants. My suggestion would be that the first 31 people to "sign" up to the Challenge would all get to select a prompt. Prompts can be as simple or complex as you want them to be. They can be a thing, an emotion, a color, an abstract idea. They can be whatever you can imagine. They could be a song lyric, a famous photo, an old TV show or a worn out shoe. And you can follow the prompt literally or just let it push you in a vague direction. The whole point is to get you thinking in new directions (and doing it WITH your camera).

Now......who amongst you is up to the challenge?!

• Like Like x 8
  2. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Probably not, for me. I'm off to hospital on monday for some "investigations" and I don't know where that will lead. If it were to be in July as it was last year, I'd go for it. apart from other considerations, May is a bit too soon for me. I'll look on with interest, though :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    May is very possibly too soon for a lot of people....so that is certainly flexible. Good luck with the "investigations" at the hospital, Sue.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    Hi Luke

I'm up for a challenge in May. Its a great idea.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    I'm in.

Cheers,

Antonio

• Like Like x 1
  6. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    I'm in. I like the flexi-time, I'm MUCH more likely to achieve that.

It's a little bit like a bucket list, don't you think? 50 Photos to take before you die?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    I think I'm up for it. I had wanted to do a weekly at the beginning of the year but I am quite behind now. Then again daily for a month might cover for that. Any camera, any lens, just not archived photos, right?

Good luck with your investigations Sue. Did the my own drill in Dec right before Xmas, thankfully the holiday wasn't bleak.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Kristen, you understand correctly.....the challenge is to get up off the couch and shoot. All original shots inspired by a prompt. You can do one a day if you want, but we'll all have a list of 31 prompts that you can carry around and check off in any order. Heck, if you wanted to do all 31 in one day.....there nothing stopping you. Except that there may be a few jokers amongst the group who throw a couple tough ones in there. We're counting your answer in the affirmative for now.

• Like Like x 1
  9. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    I'm in. I like the "prompts" idea, though I may not be able to meet them all

• Like Like x 1
  10. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    “Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
    ― Henry Ford

• Like Like x 2
  11. kathyh

kathyh SC Top Veteran

Jul 13, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Kathy
    I enjoyed the SIJ so I'm in for SIM or whatever.

• Like Like x 1
  12. photogfollett

photogfollett SC Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    Roseburg, Oregon
    John
    Count me in, I need some motivation to get shooting again since my DL5 just got back from being serviced... :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    I am in

• Like Like x 1
  14. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    I'm in!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Great idea, and I'm in... thinking however that 36 instead of 31 may be a good number... I quite like the idea of shooting the whole thing on a roll - real or virtual - with no margin for error or reshoot.

• Like Like x 1
  16. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    this is a perfect distraction from thinking about and doing all the things I really ought to be doing and thinking about.
    so, yes, I'll participate

• Like Like x 1
  17. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    Count me in too :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  18. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Can it be said better?:rolleyes: I'm in:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  19. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    I'm in - I'll rest my D300

• Like Like x 1
  20. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7_KIzbktgJk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 1