1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The moon with a £5 lens

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds Forum' started by dannybgoode, Apr 13, 2014.

1. dannybgoode

dannybgoode SC Regular

Feb 13, 2014
    One of the things that attracted me to MILC's (and in particular the E-M10 due to IBIS) is the amount of cheap legacy glass out there. Sure most of it is not as sharp as modern system specific glass but then a lot of it can be had for next to nothing.

I fancied a 35mm film SLR and found one I liked on ebay. The description was a little vague about the lenses (other than the standard one that came with the body) it came with describing one as a 50mm and one as a 58mm. The price was what I would h\ve paid for the camera alone without any extras so was happy to take the punt.

So, the camera arrived and the 58mm lens turned out to be a 70-300mm Miranda. OK not a stella lens in the history of picture making but I have assigned a nominal £5 cost to it so can't complain.

In order to test it on the E-M10 I though a classic 'moon shot' was in order - nice sky last night so gave it a go.

And the result?

5E52DF577D3A407A972D74280DEE14C5.

OK, not the best moon I have ever seen but a) I was just playing, b) the lens is a push me-pull me zoom so it kept sinking back in and c) my astro-photography skills are lacking so over all pretty happy.

RAW file processed in whatever Olympus' god awful software is called converted to TIFF and in to LR and the PS + Silver Efex 2...

• Like Like x 6
  2. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    Lightroom now supports E-M10 raw files . I just downloaded the upgrade. Does a good job too.

• Like Like x 2
  3. dannybgoode

dannybgoode SC Regular

Feb 13, 2014
    @RB - excellent news. Will update accordingly. I think OPV has managed to achieve what I previously thought impossible by being at least 4 times less usable than SPP!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Will

Will SC All-Pro

Aug 30, 2010
    England
    That is a very nice shot for a £5 lens!

• Like Like x 1