The Most Magnificent Serious Compact Photo Challenge - August 2013

ahhhh....there's a few new folks who weren't here last time we did one of these. ReD and ivoire (and anyone else who wants to challenge themselves, but has no idea what is going on here)..... we are in the process of assembling a list of 31 prompts (or themes).....make a little list for yourself. Anyone who is up to the challenge should take one photo a day that fits that theme. There are many ways to go about it....some will be fairly simple and some will be quite hard. SOmetimes you may take a photo and have no idea where it will go until later. Some like to have an idea or two in mind when they go out shooting. It's just a little challenge to make you think a little more...or get out of your comfort zone...or try something new. Hopefully after a month, in addition to being exhausted, perhaps you will have honed your eye or gained some new photographic experience. And you won't be alone on your journey.....there will be a bunch of other strangers slogging through the task as well.

It's shoudn't really be that hard. After all, it's only one photo a day. :eek: Get ready for August!

ahhhh....there's a few new folks who weren't here last time we did one of these. ReD and ivoire (and anyone else who wants to challenge themselves, but has no idea what is going on here)..... we are in the process of assembling a list of 31 prompts (or themes).....make a little list for yourself. Anyone who is up to the challenge should take one photo a day that fits that theme. There are many ways to go about it....some will be fairly simple and some will be quite hard. SOmetimes you may take a photo and have no idea where it will go until later. Some like to have an idea or two in mind when they go out shooting. It's just a little challenge to make you think a little more...or get out of your comfort zone...or try something new. Hopefully after a month, in addition to being exhausted, perhaps you will have honed your eye or gained some new photographic experience. And you won't be alone on your journey.....there will be a bunch of other strangers slogging through the task as well.

It's shoudn't really be that hard. After all, it's only one photo a day. :eek: Get ready for August!

So everyone shoots the same theme on the same day and posts at the end of the day from the compiled list?

one can choose any theme or prompt on any given day.....it's hard enough without forcing yourself to find that one specific thing on a specific day. Karen (Briar) is busy organizing things behind the scenes and all shall be made (reasonably) clear somewhere on (or very near) the first of August. But if eveything isn't totally in place, you still have your marching orders. Only push yourself as hard as you want to. My month is pretty busy, but I'm going to try for all 31...if I miss 5 or 6 (or 14), I'm not going to beat myself up about it. It gives a little bit of camaraderie in a fairly solo activity....and the fact that we're all so spread out globally just makes it more special..... :grouphug::dancingparty:

thanks for the suggestion Bill. I'm not sure that is possible...I also loved it for one of our monthlong challenges, but there is something on the administrative side (or bandwidth or storage...etc. etc.)

Talking admin, is someone putting together a handy-billy....:blush: you know a tick 'n' flick print it out thingy-ma-jig listing our target 30 themes?

BTW: Does it have to be photo-a-day or just 31 a month? I mean being Winter here with light being a premium I'm hoping to bag a week's worth per weekend....or have I just desecrated the very spirit of this challenge?

Mark, since light is at a premium there you must have a little extra time to put together a little checklist for the rest of us to use.

Karen had set out the plan as a photo a Day, but I think everyone here is more into the idea of inclusivity over exclusivity so if 31 for the month instead of one a day works best for you, then I shall be Burger King and say "Have it your way!"

Talking admin, is someone putting together a handy-billy....:blush: you know a tick 'n' flick print it out thingy-ma-jig listing our target 30 themes?

BTW: Does it have to be photo-a-day or just 31 a month? I mean being Winter here with light being a premium I'm hoping to bag a week's worth per weekend....or have I just desecrated the very spirit of this challenge?

Previously the hope was that one could bag a photo a day, choosing any theme from the list to give you options. However with people having varied schedules as well as climates.. just getting it done in the month seems diligence enough. It is better to have people participate as they can than to back out because they feel the goal is too unattainable. Shoot as you are able, just don't flood the forum on the last couple days of the challenge :)

So far i count 29. did i miss 2??

• The Most Magnificent Serious Compact Photo Challenge - August 2013

1. stuck together
2. unrecognizable
3. deep
4. Cool
5. Organised mess
6. Coming and Going
7. Downside up or inside out
8. Higher love
9. A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules from the Centre of the Ultraworld
10. Pretty Ugly
11. Meditative
12. Enjoyment
13. Exhaustion
14. Mostly monotone
15. Myopic [open to interpretation, visual or otherwise..]
16. True grit
17. Filled with air
18. a bottle of something or something in a bottle
19. Tender is the night
20. In the dark
21. Mechanical Mayhem