The new Nikon Df is beautiful

I do like your way of thinking. I just have to keep the number of cameras I own down below a certain unspecified number!
One thing I've learned after a few years is that I buy what I want. If I listened to everyone else's opinions/perspective, then I wouldn't own anything because everything I have now either sucks in some way or is way overpriced. Lesson learned is buy what you want & be happy! :)

One thing I've learned after a few years is that I buy what I want. If I listened to everyone else's opinions/perspective, then I wouldn't own anything because everything I have now either sucks in some way or is way overpriced.

Lesson learned is buy what you want & be happy! :)

Agree completely, the question is do I tell the wife before I order one, or after...

Ray, everything you say in your post is most reasonable and I agree with its reasonableness. Nevertheless, I am liking the Df, and I am enjoying the hands on process of shooting. However, I would set it on A-priority and run and gun with it using perhaps a 28mm lens if I were using it for street work or some event like a reception. In such cases I might just as well use the G7 or the RX1. But when I have the leisure, like a walk in the woods, I enjoy the hands on process in which I must make conscious choices and set the camera with tactile controls. There is something intangibly satisfying about that process for me. That is why I am using mostly D lenses so that the aperture is set manually as well as other settings. Just my thoughts. Your thoughts as expressed in many ways make more rational sense than mine.

I'd be happy to pay for one. I just don't have enough at the moment for one. :(

I so do not want to buy an A7 but I can't afford an M9 or M240. I might just have to buy the A7 which I don't really like.

My M8.2 is getting old and I'm starting to see dark lines show up even in relatively not-so-low-light conditions. I've taken thousands of photos with my beloved M8.2 and the sensor is getting old and tired. I also would love to have a better low light performing sensor, even an M9 would be awesome with its one stop improvement, I'm not asking for much.

Anyway, this thread is about the Nikon Df.

I shall cease my First World whingin'.

Ray, everything you say in your post is most reasonable and I agree with its reasonableness. Nevertheless, I am liking the Df, and I am enjoying the hands on process of shooting. However, I would set it on A-priority and run and gun with it using perhaps a 28mm lens if I were using it for street work or some event like a reception. In such cases I might just as well use the G7 or the RX1. But when I have the leisure, like a walk in the woods, I enjoy the hands on process in which I must make conscious choices and set the camera with tactile controls. There is something intangibly satisfying about that process for me. That is why I am using mostly D lenses so that the aperture is set manually as well as other settings. Just my thoughts. Your thoughts as expressed in many ways make more rational sense than mine.
I'm just rationalizing - that doesn't make it rational. I rationalize the cameras I DO buy and I rationalize SOME of the cameras I don't - but only the ones I think about enough to need to talk myself out of!

There's a lot to like about the Df and I like Nikon features and tradeoffs quite a bit in general. If I was to ever get a DSLR, it might very well be this camera. I keep coming back to the size and weight, which is why I got out of much smaller SLRs in the first place. I'm back to having a pretty nice m43 system, but I don't even like carrying much of that and I usually leave the house with no more than one camera with maybe an extra lens or my very small RX1 / Nikon A kit.

So I almost certainly won't go for any DSLR, but that doesn't make it rational! Just rationalizing what my gut tells me.

-Ray

To clarify, I don't mind either one. They both have advantages and disadvantages. What really matters to me is the rangefinder focusing + manual focusing (over and above modern focus assist/peaking) which both cameras offer. Both types of cameras produce beautiful IQ in their own way although I may (or may not) change my mind once I have had opportunity to spend as much time with the M240 as I have with my M8.

Back