The new Pentax K-01 mirrorless

Discussion in 'Pentax K-01 Forum' started by wolfie, Feb 2, 2012.

1. wolfie

wolfie SC Veteran

Sep 19, 2010
    Leaked picture - supposed to officially launched tomorrow?

Think it's meant to use current K-mount lenses and 1the Sony 16 mp APS sensor and new ultra-thin pancake lens ...

Pentax-K01-camera.jpeg

And then there's the Olympus OM-D coming soon ... it's all good!:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
  3. Naveed Akhtar

Naveed Akhtar SC Regular

Dec 8, 2011
    London, UK
    Well what if its an APS-C? it will be another Sony NEX with even more limited lens line-up. What are we really hopping here?
    NEX with sensor shift IS? Something like Olympus to Pany and even less with only K mount lenses!
    It can't be fast C-AF with legacy lenses or if there is some Phase detect AF for mirrorless?

What Pentax gonna offer which lack in current mirrorless camera system? Fuji got sensor, m4/3 lenses, sony hmmm dont know maybe LCD ;p

Can't wait for another three hours, dammmit!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Supposedly same sensor as K5.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Naveed Akhtar

Naveed Akhtar SC Regular

Dec 8, 2011
    London, UK
    Well Sony has recently upgraded to 24MP sensors, so why not that one? don't know but Pentax has to offer something that existing mirrorless are not offering .. not just k mount support with slow C-AF on them :-/

• Like Like x 1
  6. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    I don't understand "bashing" what is not even anounced yet, much less tried.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Naveed Akhtar

Naveed Akhtar SC Regular

Dec 8, 2011
    London, UK
    well "bashing" ... would say anticipation is a better word ..

there are few tricks on k-01 side according to the pentax forum .. very thin prime lens (60mm f2.8 with protective coating) bundled, sensor based stabilization, support to all legacy lenses, with APSC sensor. Possibly a weather sealed body too.

8. Naveed Akhtar

Naveed Akhtar SC Regular

Dec 8, 2011
    London, UK
    I love it .. essentially same camera as K5 but mirrorless ... well done Pentax! Now really want to see how fast the Auto focus works .. and if does focus fast .. am sold! its sensor is already too good .. even if its same as on K5.

9. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's an interesting set of choices. Not that small but a good price. The K5 sensor has proven to be very good, so IQ is very promising. I have K lenses so that makes it tempting. Of course, there are lots of K lenses out there, many that will provide AE. AF is less obvious since it doesn't say if this camera incorporates the original screw drive. This camera needs high IQ because not many other features really set it off.

10. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    • Like Like x 3
  11. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Yeah. My only motivation is that I have a K7, and this would be cheaper than a K5 with it's better sensor. I wonder if this is literally a K5 with a quick conversion to mirrorless. An EVF version would have made much more sense.

12. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    Now I'll "bash" it. That big and no view finder. Bad.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    The seemingly logical evolution of the full-size DSLR turned out a bit weirder than I expected...

14. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    that comparison view from the top down is pretty crazy. If it's going to be roughly the same size, I'd prefer a better grip and a viewfinder.

I kinda like bumble bee one in its' own way. Still might be nice for a Pentaxian as a second body, but then I still think I'd take a K-r. If it's not smaller in any meaningful way are they just making a mirrorless camera for the sake of it being mirrorless?

At least it seems to be priced right....and they only go down in price.

16. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Thanks for the video... interesting size comparison with K5 at 4:25. Actually... this looks a bit smaller than I was expecting when I first saw the images. Just going to say that I think this camera is the same size, maybe even smaller in some ways, than the Fuji Pro. You lose the EVF, but gain a flash and IBIS (more interesting to me). I also think it looks more ergonomic (even if it is a bit goofy looking) than the Fuji.

17. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    The cynic in me is saying that the only reason this camera is mirrorless is to reduce manufacturing costs. I'm not particularly concerned about the loss of the OVF, but I'm intrigued to see how a stable of PDAF lenses operates on a CDAF camera.

18. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer S.C. Charter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Thanks, updated mine but only have the one lens now, the FA77 but I think I see some improvement.

19. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer S.C. Charter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Marked my For Sale Pentax K-01 as Completed. In fact I've decided to keep it. It cost me £299 body only and now the update has sped things up a little, I'm falling for that ugly brick all over again :)

• Like Like x 4