The New Ricoh GR Announced and Available for Pre-Order ($797 at B&H)

Dave, I think the Nikon copy is decentered to give it's best performance at the top versus bottom and has field curvature, which explains the weak right and left edges with a flat, near target. Meanwhile the Ricoh copy seems to have reasonable evenness across the field with a mildly weak area in the top center. I don't know why exactly some lenses have such a weak spot, but I've seen it plenty of times with different lenses.

Ahhh.. yes.. I can understand that.

I can't imagine that DPR would use a curved target for one camera and a flat target for the other. Overall that test shows a big win for the Ricoh when it comes to near distance shooting of a flat target. How much that will apply with usual subjects remains to be seen, but from this test, the published MTFs, preliminary reports from Imaging Resource, and some other samples I saw in the Ricoh press kit, I'm convinced the Ricoh lens is superior to the Nikon.

You're absolutely right regarding how it will apply to "usual" subjects (I think it will really depend on subject matter - mine is 90% people so corner sharpness isn't a make/break issue for me). Regarding DP Review using curved targets - I wasn't implying that they intentionally did that but, while I don't know what their target looks like, it appears as though the target seems "not flat" or that it wasn't shot on a flat surface - again though, your explanation re lens curvature is likely correct.

Regardless of my queries the Ricoh does look like it will be a killer camera (again). I did/do miss mine and did have regret selling it but I needed other gear for my Leica and Nikon systems.

I wonder how my local camera store would feel about me having buyer's remorse after less than a week with the Coolpix A :D :D :D

Cheers,
Dave

I have to say that when I shoot with the GXR with all of the controls set exactly to my liking, I can get into a flow like with no other camera (the LX7 is close, but with a zoom lens, that's a whole other ball of wax)...Jeez, the GXR 28 with a better sensor in a pocketable package with the same basic set of controls. What's not to like here?

-Ray

So Ray, if you like this new Ricoh, will it mean a bittersweet good-bye to the LX7?

I shot a Ricoh SLR for 20 years and needed no other camera, but I've no experience with the digital ones.

I have to say though that the interface for the GR that I just read about on DPReview seems incredibly focused on the shooter. This is not a camera that I'm aiming at for sure, but I'm decidedly impressed with the approach.

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

ANOTHER camera that comes without a charger!?!? I HATE this trend! Almost makes me want to choose the Nikon over the Ricoh just to discourage this crap and reward those who still know how people with more than one battery actually use these products. For the price difference, of course I'll just buy a cheap charger, but jeez. JEEEEEEZ!!!

-Ray

PS - Steve, no I won't get rid of the LX7. Its a different camera with a different purpose. It won't get used as much but it was never gonna get all that much use anyway, with all of this other gear staring me in the face. But for a bike ride or hike where anything could happen to it, and for when I just want more than one focal length without carrying more gear, it'll serve its role...

Wait.. you're kidding me right?

The camera doesn't have a charger?!?!? Ok.. so I guess one would have to take that into account in the purchase price.

Cheers,
Dave

The camera doesn't have a charger?!?!? Ok.. so I guess one would have to take that into account in the purchase price.

Cheers,
Dave

The RX1 (at a measly $2800) doesn't include one either. Or the RX100 or the Olympus XZ2 and evidently its a trend now. A trend I hate but feel powerless to affect. The only thing I can do is not reward the suckers by buying THEIR accessory chargers, but just buying from third parties and take my chances with quality...

-Ray

not entirely true. It doesn't have a dedicated charger unit where you take the battery out of the camera and stick it into and then plug it in the wall.

It still comes with a means to charge your battery. It's just done in camera. You plug a USB cord into the camera. You can either plug it into the wall or into a USB port on your computer. I suppose I'll get used to it, it's just a different way of doing things.

not entirely true. It doesn't have a dedicated charger unit where you take the battery out of the camera and stick it into and then plug it in the wall.

It still comes with a means to charge your battery. It's just done in camera. You plug a USB cord into the camera. You can either plug it into the wall or into a USB port on your computer. I suppose I'll get used to it, it's just a different way of doing things.

I understood that it didn't have a "dedicated" charger - my issue is, if you have two batteries and one runs out of juice that means you have to shoot with the remaining one until it too runs out of juice and then wait for charging - while not using your camera. It's inconvenient imho - but not a deal breaker for some. I can see this really impacting people going on vacation.

Cheers,
Dave

Not very handy. I put a dead one on charge while I continue using the Camera. Probably will be, or maybe already are third party chargers on the market. But it is a cheap trick, any way. But it's the new way of doing business. Get you to buy the extra needed accessories.

I'm always looking to economize packing space on a motorcycle. If I can leave behind a charging brick and replace it with a short USB cable, that's a win for me. Yes, I'd need to plan my charging if I've got multiple batteries, but I've got so many damn cameras that I don't think I'll miss a shot because the GR is charging the battery.

Not that I'm getting the GR, mind you...

FYI: Charger for the Ricoh GR can be ordered separately @ B&H
Ricoh BJ-6 Battery Charger for DB-60 and DB-65 Batteries 171873

If you want a charger to go with the camera, tack on an extra $48 (I would just call it $50 myself)

Cheers,
Dave

Its the same battery as used in the GRD 3 & 4. You can get third party batteries and chargers for a fraction of the Ricoh stuff. I won't reward them for this type of thing by buying THEIR accessory parts. I've never had any issues with third party chargers or batteries except for those few cameras that are chipped to only recognize their own branded batteries. Panasonic used to do this all the time - I don't think they still do. No problem with Ricoh or Fuji knockoffs though...

-Ray

Anyone know how they would do the in-camera moire reduction thing (post shot), or a guess on how effective this could be?

From Amateur Photographer's preview:
"Those concerned with moiré patterning will be pleased to hear the Pentax Ricoh GR has Moiré Pattern Removal software located in camera. This can be turned on, off and increments of intensity manually adjusted."

Its the same battery as used in the GRD 3 & 4. You can get third party batteries and chargers for a fraction of the Ricoh stuff. I won't reward them for this type of thing by buying THEIR accessory parts. I've never had any issues with third party chargers or batteries except for those few cameras that are chipped to only recognize their own branded batteries. Panasonic used to do this all the time - I don't think they still do. No problem with Ricoh or Fuji knockoffs though...

-Ray

i have spare batteries and charger for my GRD 3 already

Back