The New Ricoh GR Announced and Available for Pre-Order ($797 at B&H)

EDIT: Okay, I'll just come out and ask this... if you could only have one of the two... the new GX or the Fuji X100s?

The GR (or Nikon) for me, but I love 28mm and don't care all that much about viewfinders, as much as I like Fuji's hybrid version. If I preferred 35mm (or didn't have it overwhelmingly well covered) or care a lot about having a viewfinder, I'd go for the X100s.

It's not about quality - I haven't seen a bad camera in a while. It's about what and how you like to shoot.

-Ray

Those were supplied by Ricoh in the press kit. I didn't publish them because they were marked as confidential, and I don't think we can trust them fully until verified by a third party, but they're interesting all the same. Also interesting was the fact that they put in comparisons to a Pentax DSLR showing the Ricoh trouncing the Pentax!

I wonder, regarding low light.. if the new GR will have that same grain quality of the GRD cameras as far as noise goes or if the sensor upgrade changed that. Anyone read anything on it yet? Also I recall a little over a year ago when the Fuji X10 came out, Amazon had it for something like 50$ cheaper. The GR isn't listed on Amazon yet, I wonder if they will have an intro teaser offer.

I was wondering where they got those from... Interesting that they put a Pentax also. It doesn't say if it's from raw or jpeg.

Those were supplied by Ricoh in the press kit. I didn't publish them because they were marked as confidential, and I don't think we can trust them fully until verified by a third party, but they're interesting all the same. Also interesting was the fact that they put in comparisons to a Pentax DSLR showing the Ricoh trouncing the Pentax!

Sizewise it is longer, so it will not fit into my small pocketsize case that I use(d) for Fuji f31, Canon S95 and Sony RX100. It is amazing to see the size difference with these new compacts vs DP1 w/ f/4 lens which was the first apsc size compact. DP1 got me hooked for 28mm...

One post here with sample high iso images shows more grain noise. DPR said they will be adding some high iso shots.

I wonder, regarding low light.. if the new GR will have that same grain quality of the GRD cameras as far as noise goes or if the sensor upgrade changed that. Anyone read anything on it yet?
There have been a few images out there already. And basically what you see, similar to the Nikon Coolpix A (and other cameras with the same sensor specs), is that the images are a WHOLE lot cleaner at ISO 400 and 800, are still pretty clean at 1600, show grain at 3200, and are quite grainy at 6400. But even the 6400 images have a relatively tight grain pattern that maintains a lot of detail and can clean up pretty well - IF YOU WANT IT TO... And if you don't want to clean it up, the results are reasonably film-like. The bottom line is the images will be cleaner until the sensor is pushed to its limits, which are much higher than the limits of the GRD3 or 4 (which are essentially the same - we could launch into another discussion of ISO inflation here but lets not!). But the other bottom line is that very attractive film grain can be added in post processing in programs like Lightroom and the Nik plug-ins, and probably a number of others. So a clean image can be easily given that grainy film-like look. A grainy image can only be cleaned up so much, however. So given the choice, I'll take a cleaner file and dirty it up to whatever extent I choose to rather than start with a dirty enough file that can only be cleaned up a little bit...

Here's an ISO 6400 example from the Nikon (again, the Ricoh is likely not terribly different in this respect). This was cropped slightly (mostly just to 4:3 from 3:2) and no NR or sharpening was added. It doesn't look overwhelmingly grainy at this 1024 size, but if you click through and look at one of the larger versions, you'll see what the grain looks like.

8657677219_c8eeaf4503_b.png

NYC Coolpix A-8-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

The Ricoh GR sure came out of nowhere! Pretty much like the Nikon A. Both Ricoh and Nikon kept them under the wraps until a few days before the official announcement. Good job.

I was getting tortured by going back and forth on whether to keep the X100, or sell it and then get the Nikon A, X100S or X20. Now, the Ricoh is definitely in the mix with the great Ricoh customizable controls and much cheaper price. My experience with the Ricoh is limited to the GXR with the M-module, which was very nice as far as controls were concerned.

I did not see face detection as an AF mode on the GR, which is always a bummer for me, because for me, it's extremely helpful for off-center portrait photos.

That being said ... oh what the heck ...

... done ...

Pre-ordered the Ricoh GR from B&H.

With our affiliate link of course!

Using the Adorama affiliate link-- I like the Mack [drops, grit, water damage etc. + lemon and sensor cleaning protection) warranty offered there. And hopefully I will recoup.. at least half of purchase price by selling some things. Anyone interested in old film cameras? Lomography cameras [new ones] and some Canon equipment? =)

The charger issue is no big deal. Someone else will make a charger for it just as with the RX100.

The wasabi charger and batteries for db65 should work fine. I ordered my wasabi batteres from amazon. The charger for my dp Merrill works fine w/ the wasabi db65 by the way. I just started testing them in my sigma to c how many more shots per charge I an get versus the regular sigma batteries.

Gary

That was with the kit lens, though. If Ricoh had any guts, they'd compare it with a Pentax K-5 IIs + Ltd lens. :tongue:

Is the processing engine the same as the K-5iis? I'm just knocked out by the K-5iis I got last week. It's basically about the price of a PENTAX limited lens, but it comes with it's own built-in digital back.

Is the processing engine the same as the K-5iis? I'm just knocked out by the K-5iis I got last week. It's basically about the price of a PENTAX limited lens, but it comes with it's own built-in digital back.

You got a K5iis?? Nice! Holding out on us with the news?

My confession: last week I got a Pentax DA 21mm Ltd, maybe even the same day Luke got his K-5 IIs...

I've got a K-5, a K-01 and all of the DA Limiteds plus some more glass. Those Limiteds keep me in the Pentax K-mount system all by themselves and the cameras have never disappointed me. That's why this new Ricoh GR is so exciting.

My confession: last week I got a Pentax DA 21mm Ltd, maybe even the same day Luke got his K-5 IIs...

Thank you for the confession Chris.

We need more people in this forum who are not afraid to admit their frailty.

So for you who folks that bought new gear, but have yet to come out, feel free to do so without any fear of judgment. Or disapproval. Or guilt.

Thank you for the confession Chris.

We need more people in this forum who are not afraid to admit their frailty.

So for you who folks that bought new gear, but have yet to come out, feel free to do so without any fear of judgment. Or disapproval. Or guilt.

I've never hidden the stuff I buy. At least not from you folks here!

But I refuse to consider it a "frailty" that I have to admit to! Its just one of my photography related hobbies.

-Ray

Back