1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

The new Sony NEX 5R hands on

Discussion in 'Sony E-Mount (incl. NEX, A7, A7R, A3000) Forum' started by Boid, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    Great, another NEX camera with whiz-bang technical features. Sony, where are the lenses?

I will say, though, that at least Sony is innovating. They need more lenses, but while others are kind of stuck Sony is pushing new boundaries.

2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Am I the only one that wants a bigger body for these things? Thin is cool, but I need it a little taller. There's nowhere for me to put my hands.

3. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I'm very interested in seeing how their hybrid AF works. Canon's implementation in the EOS M looks like a dud, Nikon apparently did a great job in the 1 series.

4. Pim

Pim SC Regular

Apr 21, 2012
    Eindhoven, The Netherlands
    Pim
    No you are not alone Luke... I actually briefly owned a Nex 5N, and my thoughts were exactly the same. I know a lot of people complain about the lens size on the Nex, it is actually not so much that they are too big, but more the body too small.. Having said that I really like the feel of the Nex 7 (which is bigger), and the soon to be announced 6 takes that body shape I believe...

• Like Like x 1
  5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
    F3 is exactly what you are describing.

6. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I'll have to check out that F3....still looks tiny in pictures, but I know feel is totally different.

7. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Now that I have an RX100, I am no longer pining for a small camera, but Sony has actually benn trying to find the right body size. The NEX3 line has actually gotten bigger.

8. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia SC Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The unfortunate thing is that every year they actually fall further behind in glass compared to M43, because M43 has 2 manufacturers. It doesn't really matter of course in actual usage, the main thing is the Sony lineup has to stand on its own. But as much as I love the 5N body/sensor, there's no 'gotta have it' lenses for me personally.

The 35mm f/1.8 may change that though...