Sony The NEX system

So the Fuji X-100 is commonly accepted as being the modern version of a classic design - the old rangefinder brought up to date. The technology couldn't be more different, but they're aiming for a similar shooting experience.

Is the Nex the modern version of the Twin Lens Reflex. I mentioned somewhere else that I thought it was and a couple of people sort of had AHA moments and agreed pretty strongly but hadn't though of it in those terms.But, to me at least, the vast majority of the charm of this camera is the ability to hold it at belly level and look down into the viewfinder (or in this case, LCD) - to shoot with it like I would an old TLR. I'm sure Sony would never look at it that way - I think they threw out all of the rules when they started and don't see it as a throwback to anything. But I wonder if they'd get some part of that retro niche that Fuji is all over if they market the next version (possibly with a few more controls - more of a step down for their DSLR users rather than step-up for P&S users) at least partly as a modern version of a TLR. Or was there so little love for those back in the day that this would be fruitless?

How big a part of the appeal of the Nex is this looking down into the camera shooting position? How many even use it this way much? I seem to use it this way almost exclusively, only folding the screen back against the body for portrait orientation shots. Cartier-Bresson disapproved of this shooting position, saying something to the effect of 'if god had wanted us to use (TLR) cameras, he'd have put eyes in our bellies'. I think this may be the ONE thing he was wrong about - I think it gives one the perspective of a child which isn't a bad way for a photographer to see the world...

-Ray

I certainly don't use the LCD exclusively at Belly height but do find it very useful for taking ducks swans at ground level, yes it does remind me of the old TLR cameras of yesteryear Ray.

The nice thing about the fold out position, in my mind, would be that if you are shooting something above your head, say buildings or a plane in the air, it allows the user to keep the camera closer to the body while shooting. Without a flip out screen, the only way to see it would be to put your arms up and have the camera away from the body. This isn't a stable position to shoot from.

As for the rotating screen, I don't use it often but it is nice to know it is available.

It would be even better if it was fully articulated as my old Canon was.

Interesting. To me, that would make it less useful. There are a number of cameras with that type of screen (the Canon G series, the Panasonic G series, the Samsung EX-1, a few DSLRs). And that's useful in its own right, but in order to just look down into the screen, you have to have it out to the side, which makes the whole apparatus more cumbersome. I've done this some with my gh2, but its nothing like the Nex, which can just fold straight up but still be inline with and tight against the camera.

Sounds like I might be in a small minority on this question, so perhaps instead of waiting hopefully for a Nex system with a few more external controls, I should be fretting about them messing up what I consider a good thing...

-Ray

Ray, I did like this option on the NEX5 when I had my chance with the camera. I almost forgot about it but while I was out that day, I couldn't help but remember your enthusiasm - and your pictures! The shot I took which I posted of the house that someone referred to somewhere as "floating" was taken using this flip screen and I couldn't have gotten it otherwise. So, if I were to have one of these cameras I do think that I would find it quite handy, too. So, you are not alone out here in NEX land!:D

The problem I found with the fully articulated screen (a la Canon G series) is that I find it unnatural to use a screen that is positioned so far from the centreline of the lens. The closer the subject is the more exaggerated this problem becomes.

"Future of the NEX system"?

Big question. Ultimately, as it grows I can see myself switching to a NEX set up eventually, but still having an a-mount set up alongside, just a smaller one. This assuming the lenses, bodies and electronic viewfinders will come, but I'm confident they will. I think for weddings having a lighter set up would be a big plus, as well as something that is physically more discrete in terms of size and noise, I can see it being a big plus.

For me that would be a 3-4 years down the line consideration though, so a lot can change in that time.

"Future of the NEX system"?

Big question. Ultimately, as it grows I can see myself switching to a NEX set up eventually, but still having an a-mount set up alongside, just a smaller one. This assuming the lenses, bodies and electronic viewfinders will come, but I'm confident they will. I think for weddings having a lighter set up would be a big plus, as well as something that is physically more discrete in terms of size and noise, I can see it being a big plus.

For me that would be a 3-4 years down the line consideration though, so a lot can change in that time.
The Nex isn't quiet by a long shot - its the noisiest shutter of the cameras I own - don't know how it compares to some DSLRs but its got a louder clunk to it than the gf1 or gh2 and much more than the nearly silent LX5. And I don't think it works well with flash at all, although people are starting to rig up their own setups. So I don't know how it would be for weddings. A really fun camera but with limits. And lord yes a lot can change in 3-4 years!

-Ray

I actually like the sound of the shutter. I have all sounds off but the shutter sound is very... hmmm...
Organic if you will....
For me, when I release, the sound is a confirmation and it records the moment in my brain.
I miss the ball bearing sound of my Leicas but this one is ok.

Have you ever heard the mirror slap from an A900? :S. Not by any means silent yet, but I was talking about the future and the potential for growth, and by it seems more likely we'll see the NEX grow into a quieter and small system (well, it already is of course). I think we're more likely to see non mechanical shutters in a NEX before an a-mount body too. There is no reaon why it won't work well with flash either. You're not convinced, that's fine, I'm just thinking out loud about it's potential for the future is all...

Take care.

Ray, I'm joining you in the trenches for the current screen set up. It's perfect for me as it is. I would hate it if they over complicated it now.

Yessir... Those articulating screens are awkward. They work ok but I feel more detached from the camera.
I have enough just with the Nex tilting screen. I become very aware that I'm making images when the screen is tilted up.
It's a slight intrusion for me that's all. Nothing wrong with it tho...
I'd like to see a user defined AE/AFL on one of the buttons.

It's a simple firmware upgrade.

The other nice thing would be a hot shoe.
I have a friend with boo koo money that has a guy making him a plug in hot shoe.
Hopefully it will work out but I have serious doubts as the way to attach to the camera isn't really strong.

Can't wait for the new Nex...

I posted a couple of pics yesterday on the NEX image forum using the SLR Magic. I haven't used very much as I bought it over the Christmas period but having taken a few flower pics with it I can see that there are more possibilities. There are no definite "stop" clicks for aperture. They are marked but a bit of guess work is involved. It does give a very interesting bokeh and is tiny on the NEX.

SLR Magic

The bad focusing is just me being lazy. The sun was streaming in through that window and I just couldn't be bothered!

DSC03002.jpg

Back