Sony The NEX system

I read that the NEX 3 was or has stopped production as they are not selling very many and the NEX 5 is flying out the door. I'm more interested in the NEX 7 or whatever it's going to be called!!
I may be interested in the Nex 7 depending. I saw some rumors on the dpreview forum about a Nex 7 that looked kind of like a mini-DSLR, sort of in the Pany G-series mold. If so, I'm not interested. If they should discontinue the Nex 5 and somehow replace it with something that has a much larger body and/or does NOT have the awesome flip up rear screen, I might have to buy about ten Nex-5 cameras on closeout. Ten of 'em ought to last me the rest of my life, no? ;)

-Ray

big lens, small body

Its an 18-200 and yes, very expensive. And quite large for the tiny little Nex cameras. I handled one in a store and it doesn't handle as badly as it looks like it does, but its still a ridiculous looking combination - to me sort of defeats the purpose of the small body. For a lens like that I'd want at least a Pany G or Sony A series body. There's also the kit lens that's 18-55 and not a bad pairing with the 16. But I seem to use only the 16 the vast majority of the time with the Nex. When the Zeiss 24 f1.7 is available, that will likely live on the camera almost full time. Unless the X-100 steals my heart first, but I'm having my doubts about that...

-Ray
I have no issue whatsoever with putting a larger lens on a small body. It still is a small body. I have a 70-150mm with adapter and it is long, but not unwieldy. Put the same lens on a normal SLR and you just gained two or three more inches. :)

As with many other quirks with this camera, those used to a full SLR will find it unwieldy and complain of having to run through menus, but with a bit of practice, it all becomes second nature.

I read that the NEX 3 was or has stopped production as they are not selling very many and the NEX 5 is flying out the door. I'm more interested in the NEX 7 or whatever it's going to be called!!

I bought the 3 specifically because I did not need the full HD video and I saved $100.00. I can understand however that this does not appeal to everyone, but I like it.

As to further models, who knows with all that is going on. The NEX line itself is more of a niche product than standard SLR's and may not catch mainstream attention, but that is fine with me. It fits my needs perfectly.

Back