Micro 4/3 The official I don't want the LX100 thread

It seems Panasonic, as well as most camera manufacturers, have considerable disdain for those who shell out $ for their products. I find it interesting that, considering the number of cameras I have purchased, and registered, over the years, I have not once received any inquiry from a camera manufacturer regarding my satisfaction with the product. Whenever I buy a new car, typically Subaru, I can barely get the thing driven home before they send me a survey requesting information on how satisfied I am; also asking for my opinion on how the product might be improved. In the past, they have periodically sent additional surveys to verify that I remain satisfied.

Just curious -- what is the price difference between your Subaru purchase and your camera purchase? Just guessing, but there may be more money with the Subaru purchase, allowing for the manufacturer to pursue more individualized feedback.

Just curious -- what is the price difference between your Subaru purchase and your camera purchase? Just guessing, but there may be more money with the Subaru purchase, allowing for the manufacturer to pursue more individualized feedback.

I get the point you are trying to make.

How much did it cost you to make this inquiry? How much does it cost the rumor sites to take their surveys? How much did the V1 fiasco cost Nikon?

I was really keen on this camera to replace my EP-5 and smaller primes with the huge advantage (for me) of better video. (The pictures of tree leaves in the wind at 0:55 of this video shot on the LX100 would destroy the image on the Olympus cameras:

)

A few minuses for me that probably will keep me away from the LX100:

No tilt/touch LCD screen
Fixed EVF of lesser quality than the GX7 according to this reviewer who says it is similar to the GH4: http://admiringlight.com/blog/hands-panasonic-lx100-gm5-voigtlander-10-5mm-f0-95/

After using the excellent (but large) tilt Olympus VF-4, it is hard to accept anything less. Unfortunately the GM5 seems to have even a less-impressive EVF :(

I get the point you are trying to make.

How much did it cost you to make this inquiry? How much does it cost the rumor sites to take their surveys? How much did the V1 fiasco cost Nikon?

Consumer item that requires YOU to register the product, where once you do so, there's often a survey to go with it. Compared to a product that requires maintenance for the life of the item.

Honestly, I'd rather not be spammed with satisfaction surveys for every little thing.

I shall be watching with interest to read the first real user reports and get a feel for the camera before physically handling it.

Is the build quality on par with the Fuji X100s and how does it compare size wise?

I currently have the Fuji X100s that is a superb camera (no interest in changing to the "T" version), great build and superb IQ and the AF is much better than I had on my previous X100.

I also have the Ricoh GR that is a true pocket camera and capable of delivering stunning images from the APS-C sensor.

Do I need the LX100 - no
Would I like it - possibly depending on size/weight/build in relation to my two mentioned above especially as the price is not far off a new X100T.

Happy to wait and read thoughts from members on here who own and use the camera as well as reputeable reviews rather than get dragged into the enthusiasm of early doors ownership.

Looks nice though!

I shall be watching with interest to read the first real user reports and get a feel for the camera before physically handling it.

Is the build quality on par with the Fuji X100s and how does it compare size wise?

I currently have the Fuji X100s that is a superb camera (no interest in changing to the "T" version), great build and superb IQ and the AF is much better than I had on my previous X100.

I also have the Ricoh GR that is a true pocket camera and capable of delivering stunning images from the APS-C sensor.

Do I need the LX100 - no
Would I like it - possibly depending on size/weight/build in relation to my two mentioned above especially as the price is not far off a new X100T.

Happy to wait and read thoughts from members on here who own and use the camera as well as reputeable reviews rather than get dragged into the enthusiasm of early doors ownership.

Looks nice though!

That's pretty much where I am. I have the GR as well and, for me, it's now likely a choice between the Fuji X100T and the LX100. I suppose if the Panny turns out to be fantastic enough I might be able to deal with no integrated flash. But I'll stop complaining about that henceforth.

That's pretty much where I am. I have the GR as well and, for me, it's now likely a choice between the Fuji X100T and the LX100. I suppose if the Panny turns out to be fantastic enough I might be able to deal with no integrated flash. But I'll stop complaining about that henceforth.

OK BUT... You are looking at 2 different 'focal length' cameras. What I mean is you are looking at the X100T which has a fixed 35mm equiv lens and the LX100 which has a zoom. I'm just curious to see why you are considering these. I will be in the market for an advanced compact in the near future and am looking at the LX100 and the Canon G7X oh and the Fuji X30. They all have a short zoom which is what I think I want. However I have always wanted to try the GR but have not as yet due to the 28mm native focal length ( Too wide for me ).

OK BUT... You are looking at 2 different 'focal length' cameras. What I mean is you are looking at the X100T which has a fixed 35mm equiv lens and the LX100 which has a zoom. I'm just curious to see why you are considering these. I will be in the market for an advanced compact in the near future and am looking at the LX100 and the Canon G7X oh and the Fuji X30. They all have a short zoom which is what I think I want. However I have always wanted to try the GR but have not as yet due to the 28mm native focal length ( Too wide for me ).

The LX100 and X100T both appeal to me as general, daily shooters because of their build, external controls, quality lenses and larger sensors. But you have to understand that I got by for literally years with only one lens - a Rokkor-X 50mm f/2.0 - on my first film SLR, a Minolta SRT-200. Working with one focal length, as long as its a useful one, really isn't a problem for me. But, yes, the flexibility of the LX100's zoom has me interested. But its lack of an integrated flash bothers me (I promised that I wouldn't bring that up again). So the X100 is a reasonable alternative - at least to me.

The Ricoh GR is a whole 'nother smoke. This is a camera that was made for street shooting and fast, easy, one-handed operation. It may not look tiny but it actually slides into a pants pocket easier than the RX100. 28mm is an excellent focal length for street shooting because you don't have to worry about precise framing. You shoot and crop a bit later. Still, the GR's instant crop modes (35mm at 11mp and 47mm at 6mp) are suprisingly useful. Snap-focus mode also makes fast exposures easy. The GR utilizes Sony's "White Magic" technology in its rear LCD. So shooting in bright sunlight is less of an issue. So is battery burn while doing so. If you have a chance to borrow or rent a GR, I'd recommend it.

The Canon G7X looks very good to me, especially if a viewfinder isn't that important. I'm waiting to find out how good the lens is. It sounds almost too good to be true. The X30? I love Fuji and had the X10. But, alas, I think the X30 - while a good camera on its own - simply isn't up to its brand-new, large-sensored competition. Unless they drop the price by $200.

The LX100 and X100T both appeal to me as general, daily shooters because of their build, external controls, quality lenses and larger sensors. But you have to understand that I got by for literally years with only one lens - a Rokkor-X 50mm f/2.0 - on my first film SLR, a Minolta SRT-200. Working with one focal length, as long as its a useful one, really isn't a problem for me. But, yes, the flexibility of the LX100's zoom has me interested. But its lack of an integrated flash bothers me (I promised that I wouldn't bring that up again). So the X100 is a reasonable alternative - at least to me.

The Ricoh GR is a whole 'nother smoke. This is a camera that was made for street shooting and fast, easy, one-handed operation. It may not look tiny but it actually slides into a pants pocket easier than the RX100. 28mm is an excellent focal length for street shooting because you don't have to worry about precise framing. You shoot and crop a bit later. Still, the GR's instant crop modes (35mm at 11mp and 47mm at 6mp) are suprisingly useful. Snap-focus mode also makes fast exposures easy. The GR utilizes Sony's "White Magic" technology in its rear LCD. So shooting in bright sunlight is less of an issue. So is battery burn while doing so. If you have a chance to borrow or rent a GR, I'd recommend it.

The Canon G7X looks very good to me, especially if a viewfinder isn't that important. I'm waiting to find out how good the lens is. It sounds almost too good to be true. The X30? I love Fuji and had the X10. But, alas, I think the X30 - while a good camera on its own - simply isn't up to its brand-new, large-sensored competition. Unless they drop the price by $200.

I have seen a few images from the G7X and they look amazing! I'm not bothered about a view finder at all so the GX7 would be fine. It also keeps the low aperture numbers for longer when zooming in. I have found that having a flip screen is a must!. The only gripe I have about that camera is the pitiful battery life at 210 shots per charge.

I had an original X100 and loved it. It was one of the only cameras that I really loved. I was very happy to live with the 35mm focal length but I have that well covered with my Sony A7 and 35mm f2.8. So for a 2nd camera I think I really do need a short zoom and big sensor. I'm just not sure 1" is big enough. Will have to wait for images from the LX100 and G7X to come out. The Sony RX100 is another contender. Now if only they could put the NP-90 Fuji battery in the G7X!!!! :D

I'll pay double......oh wait....I forgot I don't want one. But if it had an ISO dial in place of the rear LCD, I might consider it.

I absolutely WANT one. I just wouldn't have any use for it and an RX1 and a Coolpix A. And I want to KEEP those more than I want to ADD this. So I won't add this. But I damn straight want to! Of all of the compacts on the market at the moment, the only one I'm even sort of thinking about maybe eventually buying is the Canon G7X and that's a real longshot. I'm kind of hoping Nikon or Oly will do one of these 1" sensor jobs a little bit bigger but with a fast 24-120. If Sony can do 24-200 at f2.8 in the RX10, somebody ought to be able to do 24-120 f2.0-2.8 in something around the size of an X100 or G1X mkII. Or if Canon would just put a modern sensor in the G1X mkII and maybe an EVF, I'd be all over that. But so far, Canon's coming the closest with the G7X. I don't know if I'd like it though, although I can tell from what I already know of the controls I'd like it more than I liked the RX100, which I didn't...

All of these cameras are really good and impressive, but unless it's got a good portrait length in it as well as the wide options, I wouldn't have any reason to grab it over what I've already got.

-Ray

Back