The Out of this World Cup

over here in the US, we are fairly insulated against the Cup. Even still, when listening to my sports talk radio hoping to hear meaningful insights into my baseball team's game yesterday, I hear little snippets about this thing called "sock her". I immediately switch to turn on a CD and give the radio a rest.

Quite right, Luke. On this, you chaps in the Colonies have the right idea. I have lost count of the number of black cab drivers whose entire conversation consists of "didyerseethmatchlastnight?" My standard response is "I'm sorry, I don's speak foot-ball" which usually shuts 'em up for the rest of the journey. I detest association foot-ball and have done so from an early age when I was forced to "play" the "game" at school for years. I feel for the poor, put-upon people of Brazil.

It's not the sport per se, it is the fact that it is shoved down your throat from an early age and that you are regarded as "odd" if you dare to express disinterest, let alone dislike.

"Everybody" is supposed to "love foot-ball" - I was in a work meeting last week in which it was seriously mooted that as a "team building exercise" we should take a function room at a local hotel and all watch an "Eng-ur-lund" game together. I would rather gouge my toenails out with a warm lolly stick...

Football cricket ! Well anything like that. No thanks. The good thing is when there is a big match on the roads are a lot quieter. = more fun on the Ducati ! Less people on the fells.
It's win win for me . So I hope England do well.

So I hope England do well.

Some hope

hope there are no penalty shoot outs in their first play off - but I doubt if they will get that far

11 precious prima donna's pirouetting around with the occasional swallow dive in the heat of S America followed by a press conference full of excuses will be the order of the day

touch them and they will fall down - they would loose against the Brazilian womens side who are far tougher

Well, in the midst of the general anti-football sentiments I'm personally looking forward to it immensely. Not as good as the Champions League of course but the next best thing. I don't like the whole circus that goes with it much either but it's easy to avoid that and just concentrate on the games.

I have nothing against soccer, or cricket, or AFL, or Rugby and all it's variants, however I do have a gripe with people who revolve around it to the point they think those that don't live for it are aliens. I think my uncle who lives in Manchester, doesn't visit us here in Sydney simply because the media coverage of soccer is so limited in comparison to over there.

Having said that, sports people and various codes do some really nice things for the disadvantaged, and I think soccer is probably one of the best codes juniors over here. It's just when it gets too corporate and political that things go down hill fast for me.

I like to hear the cup results each day, but news highlights are enough coverage for me. Hmmm I have been known to have the cricket on in the background if I'm working from home.

"Members of the England football squad visited an orphanage in one of the favelas today. 'It is just heartbreaking to see their sad little faces completely devoid of any hope ' commented Felipe Silva , aged 6"

That is funny. Thanks Bill. Nice way to jump start my Monday morning.

Well, in the midst of the general anti-football sentiments I'm personally looking forward to it immensely. Not as good as the Champions League of course but the next best thing. I don't like the whole circus that goes with it much either but it's easy to avoid that and just concentrate on the games.

I'm with you olli. I started watching football during the 1990 World Cup, when I was unemployed for a few months and it was broadcast live during the workday. I've been more or less hooked ever since, and that was considered one of the most boring tournaments in history. Much easier to catch the games now while maintaining my employment. Looking forward to Germany v Portugal in a few hours.

And some great games and major upsets already. It's shaping up very nicely - better than most of the recent feeble efforts. I'm old enough to remember 74 and 86 and this could be up there with those if things keep on as the are.

Back