The pace of modern agriculture

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
Well it's not exactly street, but hopefully falls under the documentary category. The pace of my life at the moment is governed much more by country matters than you city guys, however modern agriculture seems to be carried out at some speed these days.

A few short weeks ago this was a field of wheat. No room for over wintering stubbles these days, the plough is soon back on the land, in this case a 5 furrow job.

1030896.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Panasonic G1 with 150mm, f/4 Kern Paillard Yvar C mount lens (for 16mm movie camera), the first time I've tried this lens without an extension tube fitted. Used like that there is some significant vignetting so this is a crop, not severe but just enough to cut the vignetting out.

All the other shots are a Panasonic G1 with 45mm, f/2.8 Leica DG Macro-Elmarit, not cropped.

1010821.jpg

Getting close to the end of the furrow

1010822.jpg

Backing up to start the next pass, the plough has been rotated but not yet been dropped

1010823.jpg

Away back across the field

1010831.jpg

What did surprise me was the appearance of this disc harrow before the field had been fully ploughed, they're wasting no time on this job.

One thing I have noticed in photographing agricultural practice in recent weeks is that you always get a friendly wave, I guess it's actually quite a lonely job so that anyone taking an interest is looked on kindly.

Barrie

:eek:"No room for over wintering stubbles these days". I hear the economics are changing and that spring wheat may be gaining an advantage over winter cereal. Certainly I saw quite a bit of stubble last winter here in North Yorkshire -- there was none in previous years. Good news for those of us who have to trudge over fields all winter ;) BTW that is the the only "street" I see too.

Your "street" is the country life - and, frankly, I envy you and Richard for that and hope to eventually make it my own.

Barrie, I think this comment of yours was very telling:
One thing I have noticed in photographing agricultural practice in recent weeks is that you always get a friendly wave, I guess it's actually quite a lonely job so that anyone taking an interest is looked on kindly.
To me, it says quite a bit about the general quality of life in the more rural areas. Don't get me wrong, I know country life is not all fun and friendship all the time...and that difficulties arise quite often...but I do believe that generally there is less fear and distrust...and the pace of life, even with the stepped up planting, comes into play here to.

Please keep up your own version of "street" or documentary or whatever you want to call it - and I hope everyone who doesn't live in an urban environment will feel the same freedom and encouragement to share their photographic stories here, as well.

As someone else who lives on a 'street' similar to yours these images really resonated with me. The images were excellent insight into 'how food arrives to your table'. Loved your perspectives on the machinery - especially #3 really showing the bite of blades modern agriculture needs to subdue the soil. Having said that, like you Barrie I love my landscape photography as portraiture of the many faces of our Earth, and so this series also makes me cringe at what we inflict for her to yield what she provides so willingly.

Back