Pentax The Pentax Q - a real World user review

Very nice review.

Do you have samples of long exposure shots (15-30sec exposure)?

Can this camera perform in landscape photography?

Sorry, only saw your post today.

I don't do any long exposures on this camera, though I've done multi-exposures.

For me, the Q series has its limits and I like my landscapes to be the highest quality if possible, as I do print at A3; A3+.
For landscapes, I find the files too brittle to PP for my liking.
So, I prefer to use a DP1m or K30 for landscapes.

Web size, A4 prints or smaller prints within a coffee table book for example is perfectly fine though.

Some taken with the Q7

11143241415_7cca07dca7_b.jpg

11067958796_632eee800a_b.jpg

Really enjoying your thread and continuing to learn about my Q . Definitely under-rated system .... the only thing for me that is " missing" is a detachable electronic viewfinder like the VF-2 on the Oly. For me and my eyes I would find it nigh onto impossible to get any sharp focus with the LCD screen with my old lenses. So for now will stick with AF on the Q. But could be swayed.....;)

Hi, mr. Pinholecam :)

Thanks for your review, I read them during the discovery of this camera. I was for longer time not too much interested in smaller camera's and didn't even know it existed at the time when it came out. From the moment I saw one I wanted one!

I have a fixed 01 lens and also a 06 which are both great! I started to order a adapter for Canon EOS lenses to use the crop factor. But I found it very hard till now to get nice results out of that combo. Can you explain a little bit more about your settings and setup how you got these stunning results from the Zoo for instance?

The lenses I have is a 50mm 1.8 (first canon eos serie), and a 70-200 F4 USM IS.

Best regards,

jjsmit

Hi,

What type of 3rd party adapter did you use?

Given that this post was made last year, are you aware of any other adapter that's compatible with the Q (first model)?

Salamat!

A review like this is going to make me spend money.
I know with the right glass and plenty of talent you can get amazing images for a CAM that small.
Maybe an enlarger Lens mounted in a helecoid, or maybe moon shots with a converted process Lens.

Sent from my HTC One V using SeriousCompacts mobile app

Hi, mr. Pinholecam :)

Thanks for your review, I read them during the discovery of this camera. I was for longer time not too much interested in smaller camera's and didn't even know it existed at the time when it came out. From the moment I saw one I wanted one!

I have a fixed 01 lens and also a 06 which are both great! I started to order a adapter for Canon EOS lenses to use the crop factor. But I found it very hard till now to get nice results out of that combo. Can you explain a little bit more about your settings and setup how you got these stunning results from the Zoo for instance?

The lenses I have is a 50mm 1.8 (first canon eos serie), and a 70-200 F4 USM IS.

Best regards,

jjsmit

Looks like I am behind with checking back on this forum again. - sorry :)

I will use a tripod with a long lens, there is just too much camera shake no to use one with such a long equivalent focal length.
Sometimes, I will key in a lower FL input instead of the equivalent one as I find that the SR system can 'overcompensate' for such long focal lengths.
So example would be if I used a 200mm lens, equivalent 1100mm, I will just key in 1000mm or 800mm

I like to use f4-f5.6 which is about the point for best sharpness before diffraction sets in.

RAW gives the best possible o/p, but I often just shoot in JPG with the 'reversal film' mode too.

Hope that helps.

I just joined the Q owners club! Found a red Q10 zoom kit for $160 and couldn't resist at that price. It will be used for a class I teach in June, kids grade 4-8. However I will give it a thorough testing and will try adapting my Pentax 110 lenses as well as C and D mount.

Back