Fuji The RAW button

Church in East Burke, Vermont

On our way home last night from across the street at the Post Office. From a JPEG by accident. ;) 'Cause if you are already set to shoot in RAW and you accidentally push the RAW button it takes you out of JPEG mode. Some mild tweaking and B+W conversion in LR. Ahhh, lession learned.:)
p264980570-5.jpg

. . . David

I took the liberty of copying David's post from the non street Fuji thread because of the comments he made about the way the RAW button worked for him. I wasn't 100% sure that I understood him so asked for some clarification. David was kind enough to answer me with this:
Thanks for the comments. I was in RAW+LF. When you hit the RAW button it sets you to just LF. I just tried it with only RAW selected. When in that setting pushing the RAW button changes you to LF. Interesting, tain't it.
. . . David

I thought it was worth a thread of its own because I hadn't really tried the RAW button and wouldn't have thought it would have worked this way.

I pretty much use the raw button when I'm shooting in jpeg mode (which, after some raw+jpeg testing, is gonna be my default with this camera) and want to add a raw file for a particularly challenging shot. When I'm in Velvia or Astia mode and hit the raw button, I get both files, a raw and a jpeg. So the thing actually has use for me. Although in all of my testing, I'm amazed at how much latitude I have with the jpeg files and how little I gain by shooting in raw. Given the performance advantages, I'm sticking with jpeg as the primary shooting mode on this camera and that's a first for me.

-Ray

I'm going to give it serious try...or a more serious try again, Ray. It's difficult to break old habits but if the jpegs work so well - why the heck not? Plus, I'm guessing that the files write faster and you can certainly hold more photos on the SD card, I'd think, as well.

Ray and BB - I agree with you and yes, it is a difficult posture to "accept". The JPEGS out of this camera are incredible, hence why for now I'm shooting JPEG and RAW, just in case. When I was shooting a lot with an M8 I really wanted the in camera JPEGS to be incredible. They weren't, and I shot only in RAW. Likewise, with my MFT gear I shoot RAW 100% of the time. With the X100 for me and apparently a number of us, the game appears to have changed.
. . . David

I decided to set mine for jpeg only on my last trip, mainly as I took it as a back up camera but I used it much more than I thought I would. I have to say that I'm not at all disappointed with the results. They seem to take manipulation in LR3 really well and I wasn't worried about filling up my SD card too quickly.

I'm not reading any of this blasphemy any more.
I'm welding my raw button.
I will not succumb to the jpeg files.

Today might be the end of the world as we know it but I'm still raw.
Youse are all doing well with the jpegs but I can't do it....
I must not try even 1!

Talk about blasphemy!?! :eek: However, seeing as you are still here Nic...and the end didn't come, I will learn to be more accepting of jpegs and Canon DSLRs.:tongue:

I'm not reading any of this blasphemy any more.
I'm welding my raw button.
I will not succumb to the jpeg files.

Today might be the end of the world as we know it but I'm still raw.
Youse are all doing well with the jpegs but I can't do it....
I must not try even 1!

No - I tried - and it was a waste of effort - Raw Rules (as it always has).

Back