Ricoh The Ricoh GR image thread

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
OK, there's a bunch of folks that have this camera now. The rest of us demand some photos. Post 'em if you got 'em. B & W or color, SOOC or cooked how you like 'em..... we gotta see real world images.

I put these up yesterday, in the GR vs Nikon thread, but I think they got quite lost in all of the color profile discussion. I had a few Nikon shots in that thread, but these are just GR:

View attachment 70008
Ricoh Philly-337-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 70009
Ricoh Philly-53-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 70010
Ricoh Philly-555-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 70011
Ricoh Philly-326-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 70012
Ricoh Philly-379-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

This guy was ROCKIN' the lunch counter - people were dancing!
View attachment 70013
Ricoh Philly-445-Edit-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

Every time I pass this counter and this young woman is working, I wonder if its really too late for a nice balding and increasingly fat middle aged Jewish boy to become Amish.... I'm afraid it might be.
View attachment 70014
Ricoh Philly-433-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

Some were dark enough and rough enough that adding a bit of grain was the only way to make them passably useable. And its debatable.
View attachment 70015
Ricoh Philly-575-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

OK - posting this just to give an idea of the amount of highlight recovery available with the GR - first one exported from LR with no work, second one recovered. Enormous amount of headroom to recover what looks like blown highlights.

Will see if I have anything decent worth posting later today.

Thanks,

Simon

Attachments

• SLJ (1 of 1)-4.jpg
    SLJ (1 of 1)-4.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 1,004
  • SLJ (1 of 1)-3.jpg
    SLJ (1 of 1)-3.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 932
had to join as I just got this camera only 3 days ago.. and guess what! I have dust on the sensor already! WTF! Does anyone have any advice for me?! It's really frustrating me I love this camera so much already and it bugs me, but here's some from today, it's not noticeable in these pictures but I'll post for those curious people that want to see real world images.
8861541597_4dd745afcc_b.jpg

8861545887_d9dcd3df42_h.jpg

nice shots sweet afton. Unfortunately dust on the sensor is always a possibility, but it should be pretty rare in a fixed lend camera, but obviously when the lens moves, air is moving through somewhere. Do you have some images that show the dust?

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Thanks Luke! and thanks for the quick reply, I've tried cleaning the lens and stuff but tested everything out, and yes i know its just one piece of dust but still, I've paid 800 dollars and had this for 3 days.......... :sad010:

Processed them as small jpgs through the camera, it is visible from f11 to f2.8 photos below: (Look towards the center of the white paper f11 - f2.8)
8862686850_9d5bb12a9a_b.jpg

8862077479_5c5084a65a_b.jpg

8862078189_50c48c46e4_b.jpg

8862078567_d87502f85c_b.jpg

8862078985_0f9cecb24d_b.jpg

well...it can't stay dust-free forever, but certainly I think Ricoh would agree that it should be better than this for the first 30days. I'd conatc someone about his and see if you can either exchange the camera or return it. That is NOT proper. If no one will deal with it, I'd bust out a good vacuum.

well...it can't stay dust-free forever, but certainly I think Ricoh would agree that it should be better than this for the first 30days. I'd conatc someone about his and see if you can either exchange the camera or return it. That is NOT proper. If no one will deal with it, I'd bust out a good vacuum.

It's just so sad that forever happens to be 2 days, i dont feel good about fussing over such a small issue but then again... I'll have to give them a call tomorrow and see what they say and do. I'll let those of you who will run into this problem (hopefully not as quickly as I did here) know how they treat this issue. An exchange would be great because the wait on their repair services tend to be a 2-3 weeks? maybe more according to their websites.

EDIT: Well... as of today 5pm May 28th, Ricoh never got back to me, Pentax just told me to send it into the service shop in AZ..
BUT the seller I got the camera from, Wolfe's Camera, (I bought from amazon but they have a website and are an actual shop in KS) got back to me at 6 this morning to tell me that they'd replace this camera as soon as they got more in stock, so props to them, if they start listing the Ricoh again on amazon, buy from them! They are great and super helpful, it's also nice they're close to where I live in the midwest.

That sounds pretty annoying about the dust speck - noticed one on my GRD IV that I got 2 months ago but I think the speck seemed to shift on its own as not noticed it recently.

The GR seems to have better edge sharpness than the GRD IV - Here is a shot from yesterday just locally in my home town (using manual focus @ 3 metres)

R0000380.jpg

I'm not advocating putting a vacuum cleaner hose directly up against the lens assembly of a brand new $800 camera (and anyone who tries it does so at their own discretion and possibly throws any warranty out the window), but I wonder what would happen.

Luke you do tempt me as ridiculous and silly a solution the vacuum sounds, maybe if i were a bit more desperate.. but I'll take my replacement offer when the time comes.
for now here's some more from today, in camera processing at hiBW, also gives leeway for dynamic range comp within its raw development so it is and can be nice.
8874603604_49d30d7e28_b.jpg

8873988763_eaf45d40fd_b.jpg

I'm not advocating putting a vacuum cleaner hose directly up against the lens assembly of a brand new $800 camera (and anyone who tries it does so at their own discretion and possibly throws any warranty out the window), but I wonder what would happen.

Has anyone already written about the other DIY solution, the one that consists in coupling the (off) camera to a vibrating cell-phone?
:D

Back