Ricoh The Ricoh GR image thread

_R000538.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_R000643.jpg

I guess it does sound like an odd switch. Ideally I'd have the X100 and the GR, if I could afford it. I have a system camera in the form of an OMD EM5 along with various lenses. So I'm covered for most eventualities.

The one camera I've really wanted over the years is a compact without compromising on image quality. I've been interested in the GR since 2013. One of my favourite camera combos I no longer have was an Olympus Pen Mini with the 14mm (28mm equiv) f2.5.

I'm a stay at home dad and funds are tight so the X100 had to go to finance the GR. The GR should compliment my MFT system nicely.

The X100 (I had the original) is a truly wonderful camera. In a couple of years time I'll definitely pick up a newer version such as the T or F. I think everyone should own an X100 at least once!

That's interesting, as a GR owner, I was thinking of getting an X100F. Didn't though. Look forward to seeing how you differentiate them in real world once you've spent some time with the GR.

Last edited:
Just some snapshots from a walk in the woods today and a chance to use the GR for the first time since selling my X100. Felt very, very strange! Firstly using a compact and secondly not having an EVF to compose with. I'll tell you what though, I found myself using the GR so intuitively, I was barely giving a thought to how to use camera. It never got in the way. It just responded like lightning and I even found myself using Full Press Snap and holding down the macro button and the front scroll wheel to alter the distance.

I never use anything but autofocus on my cameras (except when using macro) but the ease with which you can experiment with Snap and change distances so easily makes you want to experiment more. I can see snap being a very useful function when photographing my daughter.

The one area I struggled with however was keeping the camera steady enough. I'm used to using the EVF and of course you can keep the camera much steadier when you have the camera to your eye and your arms tight against your body. I did change the minimum shutter speed to 1/125 halfway through the walk and that really helped. Maybe I just need more practice. I don't own a camera phone either so it's not like I get practise shooting with a screen.

Oh and this lens is insanely sharp! It's absolutely eye poppingly sharp on my 5k monitor. I’ve never come across a lens this sharp.

Feel free to click on the image for the full resolution version.

i-tcDZJvG-XL.jpg

i-D276KPJ-XL.jpg

i-Z5TPGVH-XL.jpg

i-VVt9GqB-XL.jpg

i-VrSvbSQ-XL.jpg

i-M9kXn2h-XL.jpg

Last one from yesterday. This lens is so sharp. I think I may tone down my already modest sharpening levels in Lightroom! Amazing amounts of fine detail in the rocks and trees.

i-Z5TPGVH-XL.jpg

Attachments

• i-Z5TPGVH-X2.jpg
    i-Z5TPGVH-X2.jpg
    570.4 KB · Views: 61

Oh and this lens is insanely sharp! It's absolutely eye poppingly sharp on my 5k monitor. I’ve never come across a lens this sharp.

Feel free to click on the image for the full r

View attachment 125302

This bug on glass is the best of the bunch, IMO, and really shows off that sharpness. I was surprised with how sharp my GRD3 is, also. I think the entire GR series is just a cut above. I still want a GRII. Sadly, I doubt it will ever happen.

Back