The science of G.A.S

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Boid, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    I blame the 'drug pushers' aka camera companies for feeding my addiction.

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    too much science......not enough gear. I got about halfway down the page and started to feel like I was in school in again. I immediately closed the page and considered shopping for a new camera bag.

4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    All these articles about the evils of GAS are dangerous. You see, whenever people start getting preachy about a subject, I just want to do the opposite to prove them wrong. Please someone find me some articles praising the sheer awesomeness of GAS to save me some money. Please!!!

5. romi.gilles

romi.gilles SC Veteran

Jun 8, 2013
    idk anymore. all over the country.
    romi gilles
    anyway, i can't wait for the xf56 and xf24 to release.

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

6. retow

retow SC All-Pro

Jul 24, 2010
    I prefer to be called a gear slut rather than be diagnosed GAS because of "an imbalance between the brain regions associated with reward and stress" by a pseudo scientist. Man would life be boring if we were all perfect. And anyway, who would define perfect?

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Another pseudo scientist. Perhaps a commission of several!

Either that or the collective judgement of the forum of your choice on DPR...

-Ray

8. LisaO

LisaO SC Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    I have family photos of when I was a toddler I would make a circle of my books and toys go sit in the middle of them and look at them and pick one or another. I still sort of do that with my books and cameras (I don't think I make a circle though). I guess it's my character flaw but I'm okay with that. Better than some other habits like drinking or drugs. I'm just a camerawhore or camerahoarder.

9. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    LOL I shop bought one camera bag yesterday and ordered a different one online when I got back home! I hadn't even pulled the first one out of the poly bag before I clicked the button!

10. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    This is no laughing matter. You need to seek help. :laugh1:

11. LisaO

LisaO SC Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    Were they at least different types of bags?

12. romi.gilles

romi.gilles SC Veteran

Jun 8, 2013
    idk anymore. all over the country.
    romi gilles
    i bought a small camera bag over a week ago, then bought a small notebook for it. :p

i have another bag i'd like to buy another computer for. haha

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

13. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Bags... I'm looking for a new bag too. Must have something suitable for the Nikon 1 gear. LOL!!

14. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    You're a gear slut :D

And actually you're right, I don't think it's a stress reward thing.. I think it's an I WANT THAT SHINEY THING thing. Perfect is an average.. this just means we are all ABOVE average :)

15. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    I made the mistake of thinking that if I knew how to use my gear, it would make me a better photographer. And its the gear that was stopping me from making great works of art. Well, that turned out to be a load of rubbish. I now know how to use my camera, I know the ins and outs of every possible setting for various settings/situations and it still amounts to nada, zippity doodah, a big fat nothing.

I taught myself how to edit using various software, figured out stuff like luminosity masks, and ETTR and signal to noise ratios of various gear, editing skin tones using frequency separation, all kinds of rubbish. Ten thousand filters and many thousands of dollars of gear later, I've come to the conclusion that interesting people make interesting photographs. That's it. There's no big secret here. And right now I'm not all that interesting a photographer. I just have a bunch of interesting gear.

Reading back this sounds like a declaration or something, its not. It's just something I have come to realise about myself and the kind of photographs I want to make. It will be different for different people. But I need to get out there more and well... be interesting I guess.

16. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    Yep, the first was a Kata lite 437-DL just big enough to carry a CSC and a couple of lenses, purse and phone. The second was a Lowepro passport sling for days I want to carry additional junk with me.

17. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I have the passport sling also, its great for carrying a couple of different cameras (compacts) and your wallet, a bottle of water, keys, phone etc. My Crumpler 6MDH stays home, its a nuisance, noisy velcro that wont let go in a hurry, i need two hands to undo it. No stealth there, whatever. And I have a really really old bag which I bought in 1979 or 1980, which is quite small, but fits an amazing quantity of DSLR gear... it looks like a camera bag though, and it cant be worn across the chest, so it stays home too. The passport sling is my most used big bag. Otherwise its a small case in my regular shoulder bag.

I think I still want a Domke. I'd love to have a Hadley small, but cannot justify the cost.

18. NightBird

NightBird SC Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    I often buy gear (Cameras, bags accessories and other cool stuff) and promptly forget I did it. When it arrives by mail or courier, It's like Christmas as a kid every time. Who needs drugs when you get that sort of a high at least once a month.