The skeletal remains of a once beautiful lady

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by grebeman, Nov 30, 2012.

1. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    My photographic quest today was to try and get close to the remains of the yacht Iverna, now a wreck on the shore of the Kingsbridge estuary. She was built in 1890 to the orders of a member of the jameson (of Irish whisky fame) family, 118 feet long over the bowsprit, 18 feet beam and carrying over 8000 square feet of sail. She raced the famous yachts of her day, in 1891 she won 23 prizes.

1070519_edit.
    She now lies under the trees near Lincombe on the west side of the estuary. I have to wait for the tide to fall further, and even then it was a struggle to clamber over the rocks and wade through very soft mud.

1070556_edit.
    Her iron frame lies stripped of its teak planking and fallen over on her starboard side.

1070554_edit.
    Seaweed grows along her length and at high tide she often acts as a roosting site for both Redshank and Greenshank.

1070580_edit.
    Her prow lies close under the trees.

1070586_edit.
    She's slowly disintegrating with the passage of time.

Barrie

• Like Like x 9
  2. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Barrie,

Find any doubloons?

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 1
  3. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
  4. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Such an inglorious end, but it certainly makes a fascinating photographic study. I gather that the lighting conditions must have been difficult to shoot in.

6. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    Must have been beautiful in her day, and your photographs capture some of the remaining dignity. Nice.

• Like Like x 1
  7. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Nic, yes conditions were not easy, only weak, diffuse sun, but a rather pale sky with high cirrus cloud, coupled to a dark subject mainly in the shade of the trees. The dynamic range certainly exceeded the capacity of the GH2's sensor. I've had to work on boosting the shadows in Silver Efex Pro 2 and forgo anything in the sky, or even high value tones in the background. The subject would be better illuminated soon after dawn in the high summer months, although strong lighting would cast smaller deep shadows, so an early morning with pale overcast in say June might make things a lot easier.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  8. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    A further shot edited in Photo Ninja

Purely by coincidence I was looking at this photographers web site The Lightweight Photographer | Improve your photography with lighter equipment and he has a post about a new photo editor Photo Ninja, so I've tried it out and done a first, quick, rough and ready edit, not really knowing what i was doing. I've ended up with this, it's probably not satisfactory in some respects but the editor shows a lot of promise in what it can pull out from shots taken of scenes with high dynamic range. I did a little work in SEP 2, getting a tiff into that application through AfterShot Pro, so a bit of a convoluted route, but I am going to experiment some more with Photo Ninja.

1070562_v1_gimp.

Barrie

9. jhowell39

jhowell39 SC Veteran

Jun 23, 2011
    norcal
    Jim
    She could carry some sail in her day!
    Nice shots -- thanks for posting some old boat nostalgia.

• Like Like x 1
  10. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Beautiful reportage. It's great spot and subject, worthy of continuous exploration in various light and seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    I really like the original set, Barrie, and I agree with pictogramax that it looks like there is yet more exploration to be done.

• Like Like x 1