the sky at night

pdh

Legend
I was capturing the arrangement of Moon and planets for a friend, but on processing the images found a nice little extra in one of them ... I presume that it is a meteor ... worth clicking through to Flickr to view on black (or original size) if you can't quite see here ...

6875673108_4df097ffeb_b.jpg

moon, planets by _loupe, on Flickr

E-P2, KH 50/1.7, 4s, f/5.6, ISO160, IS off

Paul

I took a shot of the moon last night which I am still trying to figure out

moon_1.jpg

moon_3.jpg

Paul

I took a shot of the moon last night which I am still trying to figure out

moon_1.jpg

moon_3.jpg
The moon is very bright and needs to be photographed with a fast shutter speed. I shot this handheld with a 70-300mm VR lens on a Nikon d300, then cropped. I can't remember the shutter speed, but I was surprised that I could get this result, handheld at night! Yours looks to overexposed. You should only clearly see the crescent and maybe some of the moon that isn't lit by the sun as much.
7022518619_608ff8f82a.jpg

DSC_4711 by Winginkris, on Flickr

Winginkris

fast shutter speed - are you sure, the moon doesn't move around quickly? - getting a sharp image is the difficult bit - the focus point is critical and using your sharpest fstop is desirable- not the fastest shutter speed - the lens will always be the limiting factor

I know how to shoot the moon - my point was, and I tried to post an image to emphasis what I saw - and then adjusted it in LR to show this, that I am not sure what is where in this moon shot

here are a couple that I shot last year - 1/50th at f8 - ISO 200 at 300mm - taken with the same lens that you have, 70 300mm VR and camera D300 - I used MF - Liveview and mirror up on a tripod with VR off - and still the lens is not good enough to get a clear image

zeeman.jpg

zeeman_2.jpg

BillN said:
I am not sure what is where in this moon shot
I reckon that big bright thing in the middle is the Moon ... as for that funny little white blob just above it, well I expect my guess will be as good as any you have, and probably more facetious to boot ... if it's not the aliens on their way, then perhaps a moth?
There's so much "space junk" up there it could even be Buzz Aldrin's poo

I reckon that big bright thing in the middle is the Moon ... as for that funny little white blob just above it, well I expect my guess will be as good as any you have, and probably more facetious to boot ... if it's not the aliens on their way, then perhaps a moth?
There's so much "space junk" up there it could even be Buzz Aldrin's poo

you reckon! .......... has the moon got a moon!

I need to get a bigger lens - never mind all this "compact" stuff

Back