The Tenth Serious Compacts Salon Challenge -- A Sense of the Absurd - The Winner Is Announced!]

pdh

Legend
So the baton has been passed ...

A recent little flurry of threads mentioning "surrealism" prompts me to ask for submissions with the theme "A Sense of The Absurd".

(I had thought of actually making the theme "surrealism" but thought it might encourage a bit too much photoshopping for my taste :))

On an even more personal note, it's maintaining a keen sense of my own absurdity that help keeps me sane (shut up there at the back, please)

It might be a curious and apposite juxtaposition that tickles your sense of irony, or a cute thing a pet (or child, even) is doing ... or whatever ... Mostly I want to encourage you to look hard around you ... take a fresh clean look at the World you inhabit, and let the things that are familiar around you become unfamiliar.

I'd be hoping that the "holiday season" will present more than a few opportunities to exercise your Sense of The Absurd, so good luck.

The normal rules apply:

1. Either take a picture that matches the nominated theme or select one from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the picture in order to enter it.

2. There are several ways to add your photos to the current salon thread: 1. upload your entry to your SC user gallery (all entries must be present in an SC gallery), which you automatically get if you are registered on the SC forum, so if you aren`t registered you will need to if you would like to join the fun. (Don't know about the "gallery" yet? Then read this: SC Gallery FAQ please read it carefully if you are new to using the site's software.) 2. embed from Flickr or another similar web hosting photo site and 3. use the attachment method. All three are explained here:How to post images in forum threads

3. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement picture that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

4. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!

5. The person who submitted the chosen picture will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Salon Challenge and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the SC Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

6. The curator can't enter his or her own salon.

7. Please, don´t be shy...Participate and have fun!

8. Each salon should be open for about two weeks.

"About two weeks", by the way falls nicely at Twelfth Night or January 6th 2013, so I propose that the challenge will end at Midnight on that date, UTC/GMT

WAX FORD

1-bag_1_of_1_.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's the Eve of Xmas and I've already seen an absurd amount of shopping, an absurd amount of traffic on the roads and quite an absurd amount of rain ... there must be all sorts of other absurdities going in the trans-continental community that is Serious Compacts ...

I haven't been out to witness the amount of shopping, with our main road affected by flooding and landslips the traffic is probably lighter than might be expected, however my purchase of a new camera has so far proved to be an absurd move due to the absurd amount of rain that has prevented me from going out to use it :( If it would relent for a little while perhaps a photograph of ripped up tarmac in the lane or stones across the road might suffice, if I ventured further a shot of the large volume of water impounded behind a field hedge up the valley that, if it gives way, is a serious threat and could prove to be a damp time underfoot in my ground floor.

I was shooting the guy on the left, the guy on the left had a gun.....er......oh.....beer can in his coat pocket and was about to dump it......the guy making like a tea pot, hand on hip was shootong me shooting gun/can geezer. All this shooting and not a drop of blood.

Check out the remote switch in tea pot mans right hand, the position of his camera, the tea pot arm holding the jacket out of the way.

7005303352_c4663cca1e_b.jpg

Shoot Out! by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

this thread is absolutely absurd. I'll be joining the fracas shortly....just need to sort through the shots I took visiting the in-laws over the holidays. I really hope this one of my wife turned out, but the light was miserable!

6637568333_b7d722d221_z.jpg

1-12-120.jpg SIJ- Day 4 by BBW: BB Wylie Walden, on Flickr

This is not meant to be politically incorrect, however this sign has always struck me as kind of odd...as if one would only be welcome on Sundays. Normally I wouldn't explain my photo but I didn't want any church goers to be offended by my posting this on the "A Sense of the Absurd" thread without explaining.

Back