The Tenth Serious Compacts Salon Challenge -- A Sense of the Absurd - The Winner Is Announced!]

I wanted to go with this one Narcissus Giganticus... | Flickr - Photo Sharing! but then I saw that I'd already used it in a Weekly Challenge some time last year... I don't know if that's against the rules or the spirit of the competition, but either way, I figured it'd be nice to use a new one, so here goes (the word in the dust means "blue", by the way):

7665036698_38edcd36df_b.jpg

Red... or is it? by bartjeej, on Flickr

The challenge is now closed.
I shall now retire to my private salon with a pot of Earl Grey and some (gluten free) madeleines, and consider my verdict ...

Many thanks to everyone who entered

OK ...

First, Thank You to everybody who posted a response and an entry (or two) in the Challenge.

It was interesting to see how folk interpreted absurdity in contrast to how I think of it, but all of them are smart, amusing images. I suppose if I were to be strictly fair I would mention all the images, or none, but to mention some does not mean I am dismissing any of the others.

Michael T's entry certainly made me sit back and consider how powerfully an otherwise abstract image, coupled with a context, could conjure up the concept (and emotional tone) of absurdity. Petach's image off the street is a wonder of storyboarding (reminded me of an old advertising campaign for The Guardian called "Points of View"). wt21 and Lawrence's images appeal to the schoolboy in me :)

However, the one that gloriously sang "absurd absurd absurd" to me is ... HeatherTheVet's outdoor sofa ...

So congratulations Heather, and over to you for the next challenge. Now, let's see if a new Salon Challenge can run to more pages than a thread about AF speed :D

I thought Petach's was the shoo-in (though I liked them all), but Heather's certainly fit the bill!

Back