The terrible earthquake and tsunami beginning in Japan

I emailed a number of camera friends in Japan, and have received replies from most of them. Many live in regions like Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya, so they are safe. One fellow has a number of photos of people stuck waiting for the train.

I also received a reply from Shinzo Fukui, the Sigma photographer whose stunning work for the DP2 catalogue made me buy that camera. He, his family, and all Sigma staff are safe and well. He also asked that I continue to support Sigma! And of course, I will. Japan can do with all the support it can get at this time.

donations

Barrie just posted this on the X100 thread but I'm copying it here, instead.

dpreview has these links on its site for donations to the relief effort

Japan earthquake and tsunami - how to donate: Digital Photography Review

Barrie

Thank you Barrie.

Here are links to the American Red Cross: Donate Funds and Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontieres, as well.

Naturally, we're only putting these here for information. I am sure that all of us are doing what we can.

dpreview has these links on its site for donations to the relief effort

Japan earthquake and tsunami - how to donate: Digital Photography Review

Barrie
Barrie,

Do you still feel the sense of relative optimism about the nuclear situation that you felt a couple of days ago? The news reports are sounding like its deteriorating very quickly and I assume that past a certain point it can go from bad to cataclysmic pretty fast? But I obviously haven't a clue what I'm seeing, so can you provide any perspective, good or bad?

-Ray

I have to ask that we do not get into our personal speculations or opinions about what is going on with regards to Japan's disaster. I know we all care deeply but we have to limit ourselves, please. The issues with threads like these that start off as caring threads (and this one thankfully has remained as such) is that they need to remain as that and if any information is posted, I need to ask that it is linkable to a verified well known news source. Honestly, it is probably even better if we follow the news via these sources, as most of us already are, on an individual basis and not via Serious Compacts. Thanks all for understanding.

Some of you will know that I responded to a post on m4/3 and copied that post to this forum very early on in the Nuclear Power Station situation. I like to think that that post was written in a considered manner and in the spirit of calming a situation.
I am in full agreement with the sentiments expressed above by BBW about the use of this forum in situations such as we are faced with at the moment and to that end could I suggest we refrain from speculating, in the words of that eminent and most professional of journalists Edward R Murrow, "goodnight and good luck"

Barrie

Thank you Deirdre for both that informative Adorama link - which I just got, as well, via email, and for your post.

I'm sure we all continue to keep the people in Japan in our thoughts. I noticed that Adorama had this in their email "And please consider donating to the charity of your choice to help support emergency relief efforts in Japan."

Back