The tourists hoards are using a lot of mirrorless cameras.

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by lenshoarder, Oct 2, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
    I've been watching what cameras tourists use. There's a wide variety. There are still some film users. People using film SLRs aren't uncommon. What surprises me are the people that still use film P&S cameras. I've noticed more and more people using mirrorless cameras. I saw my first Nikon J1 out in the wild a couple of days ago. You see them all. GF2s, GF3s, E-P1s, etc, etc. The most frequent one I notice now is the NEX 5N. I see about 10 of those each day withough even trying to hunt them down. Stupid me, I still think someone who uses a mirrorless knows something about cameras. When I talk to these people, their eyes glaze over and they say "I just wanted something that takes better pictures.".

• Like Like x 1
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    critical mass.

the turning point.

time for me to find a new contrarian thing to buy.

3. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    Currently at the Grand Canyon, seen a few nex 5 series, an epl1, and a huge amount of Costco Nikon d5k specials

Like... 75% of the cameras are a Nikon d5k!

There was a film p&s tho!

Was surprised how few canon slrs there were. A good amount of canon advanced p&s tho

4. Phoenix

Phoenix SC Top Veteran

Dec 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    This really reminds me of the youtube vid regarding reviewing the Leica M9-P :tongue:

5. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    Where are you?

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

That's priceless.

7. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Its hilarious. "I figgered if I got a better camera I could take better pictures". WHAT? He has thousands to throw away on something like a Leica? (and until he finds out whether he is capable of good photography, it *is* a throwaway). Geez.

8. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    All I saw during my visit to London and Scotland were big honking DSLRs.... DSLRs everywhere... it was an epidemic. 5DM2s with huge honking 'L' lenses carried by petite Chinese women... they looked quite unsure as they handed me their cameras for a picture (I was carrying a GRD1).

9. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    I see more and more mirrorless cameras at events around here, mostly m4/3 and NEX. But DSLRs still are a majority.

10. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    wow
    just wow

11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Is Tourist Hoard the name that you call yourself when you're on holiday? :tongue:

12. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    this has done the rounds a on a few boards (including this one I thought) ... doesn't stop it being funny of course ... he's got a few of these up in similar style and it's clear that they are intended as parody

13. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I hadn't seen that Leica "review" in awhile. I forgot how funny it is. I love that he shot the video in portrait orientation.

14. Toonman

Toonman SC Regular

I visit London a Lot, maybe 15 times a year. I hardly ever see Mirrorless cameras. Just as a previous post said a thousands of tourists with huge DSLR's. I own a Samsung NX11 and a Lumix GF3, I have never seen either of them..............ever! Some of the more petit female tourists (I'm not being sexist!) are dwarfed by massive Nikon and Canon full frame monsters.

15. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I think this will fit the bill perfectly:

Rolleiflex Still Happily Making Analog TLR Cameras, FX-N to Debut at Photokina

I work in New York City and I still see a lot of DSLRs in the hands of tourists. I've also seen a few Sony SLTs. After that it's bridge cameras and point-and-shoots. I've seen a few mirrorless cameras but not that many by comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  16. lenshoarder

lenshoarder SC Veteran

Mar 7, 2012
    I ran just into another NEX 5N user. I asked why he got a NEX. At first he was baffled by what I was referring too. Then he says "Oh, the camera!". He said he's a Canon shooter but his brother made him get a NEX for the trip since it's more compact. Says he's liking it.

17. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Harvard Square tends to have high number of visiting chinese and japanese families, and 90%+ of them include at least one (but not limited to one) family member lugging around a DLSR, usually a Nikon D3100. And never a prime lens, no, it's always the kit zoom. Starting to see more of the little Sony mirrorless ones lately though.

18. Hyubie

Hyubie SC Veteran

Jun 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Walk along Beach St. in Boston's Chinatown near the arch, and you'll probably meet the guy with an E-PL1 hanging on his neck. (If you meet an Asian guy with an EPL3 attached to his wrist using a black Wii strap during lunch time, it's probably me. :biggrin: )

Plus most Asian tourists there sport the Nex. Haven't seen much Panasonics though.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    So you don't look like your avatar then? :biggrin:

20. Hyubie

Hyubie SC Veteran

Jun 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Don't you see he's Asian? Think kung fu master with the kung fu beard. :smile: